Chapter 23

Friends 4 Life

Islam trudged to her room after school, exhausted and drowsy from the hustle and bustle of the day. It was Monday, and the school had been particularly busy. She found herself sprawled on the bed, dozing off after entering her room and having already prayed.

Just then, she remembered her date with Michelle. Despite feeling faraway for the moment, she mustered up the energy to shower and change into a palazzo and a cozy Cambridge sweater, as the heavy downpour had made it quite cold.

Nestling at the reading table, she searched for words that could best describe her thoughts, her fingers dancing on the keyboard. After finishing chapter two, she grabbed her bag and dashed out of the house to Michelle's place.

Michelle's place had undergone significant improvements, meticulously arranged with mannequins showcasing professional tailored dresses and suits. It stood out from all the couture in Kaduna.

She walked into Michelle's office, where her she was skimming through fashion magazines, showcasing various designs. Michelle herself was dressed in a tuxedo, her hair styled in a bob, giving her a different look.

"Hi bestie," Michelle greeted, walking over to Islam and hugging her tightly, as if they hadn't seen each other in forever, making it hard to breathe.

"How was your day?" Islam asked.

"Fine, but stressful. Are you wearing Cambridge today?" Michelle inquired, noticing Islam's sweater.

"I'm just trying to keep warm," Islam explained, as they both sat on the couch beside the large window.

"C'mon, let's go," said Michelle as she walked her out and they drove to the street to explore nature. The green grasses were swaying in the wind, along with the trees, while vehicles passed by. Children were selling various street food in transparent plastic buckets or stainless trays.

They stopped at a small shop nestled between the malls and plazas which had faded paint and too many posters with a corroded zinc roof, a large wooden table displaying chevon and beef. Next to it, a pit of burning flames roasted the meat, which was salted and turned consistently.

The suya seller was wearing a dirty, milk-colored kaftan and sweating from the heat of the fire. His eyes were deep-set and tiny, making it hard to tell if the smoke affected him.

They both squinted at the suya, as the smoke was affecting their eyes, patiently waiting for him to finish roasting.

Other customers, mostly children, were patiently waiting. The suya seller skillfully wrapped the suya in a sheet of newspaper, sprinkled it with pepper flakes, and handed it to them.

They relished the tender and flavorful meat, devouring every last bite before moving on to buy some roasted corn. It felt like a delightful street food date.

The corn seller diligently fanned the twigs, providing a steady base for the fire that roasted the golden corn. The road was muddy, and the stagnant brown water made it challenging for vehicles to pass without splashing pedestrians, who didn't hold back their insults.

She expertly wrapped the corn in newspapers, adding a touch of coconut, and handed it to them. They savored every kernel, completely finishing the delicious treat. Street food had a special taste that couldn't be replicated, even though some had concerns about its hygiene compared to packaged food.

Eventually, they drove back to their luxurious surroundings, leaving behind the vibrant street scene, which felt worlds away from their homes.

**