13

Nami sulked, cheeks stained for all the world to see as she stole glances at her best friend from the never-before-used armchair. 

He sat on the couch.

The last of her loot got her caught red-handed so she turned away quickly to look at air. 

They had turned on the television but none were interested.  He was typing away on his phone while she sat across him, knees drawn, and arm across her chest, in an attempt to hide her face.  Her loose curls helped too as they skirted her red ears and cheeks. 

"You think I'm weird."

"I don't."

"Liar."

Luffy sat his phone down then and Nami froze completely. 

She had kissed him, just a little peck on the forehead while he slept but the problem was that at that moment, he was awake without her knowing.  The 30-minute nap did the trick to get him back on his feet but the moment, he blinked awake staring back at her with one of his smiles, Nami had lost it all to embarrassment. 

"We had rules and I should respect them.    I'm sorry."

"For the 1000th time, Nami.  I didn't mind."

"Well, you should."

"Why?"

She turned her whole self away then and curled into the chair's arms. 

"Forget it."

"You're the one making it a big deal."

"I said forget it."

"... Why are you so far away?" Luffy asked.  For the first time, he noticed the ocean between them.

"Because I'm mad."

"What did I do?"

"Not you, Luffy.  I'm mad at myself."

Silence followed and Nami rolled eyes at the boat anchored near her shore. 

He touched her arm then and Nami shrugged it off.

"Do you want to be left alone?"

Nami's answer was quick on her lips but she bit it back and said nothing. 

"Look here for a second."

Nami glanced over her shoulder but looked away a second too soon. Luffy pursed his lips. 

"Why?"

Nami already knew the answer. 

"Because you're cute."

Bingo.  Nami almost laughed. 

"And what if I refuse?"

"Then..."

The familiar curl of fingers grated her sides and Nami dashed to the bedroom.

She regretted not choosing a better hiding place. Somewhere with a door and lock because Luffy caught up to her with ease.  She lost her balance and fell back on the unmade bed and it was there Luffy had his way.  She kicked, screamed and laughed so impossibly loud, that she was sure the entire hotel could hear her. 

Luffy laughed along with her.  One thing for sure is that she never begged him to stop so he continued until she was a breathless, teary-eyed puddle of mirth. 

Her giggles subsided but then came the hiccups and they dissolved into laughter again. 

"You can get off now."