10

"How many days are you going to waste being unable to think for yourself and actually listen to your friends?" Hongjoong slapped Seonghwa in the back and brought him out of his daze. "How many days do you need to be ready to hear the whole truth?"

"You could be lying," Seonghwa simply said, "You lied to me all this time too. You could be lying now too."

"Sure," Hongjoong rolled his eyes, "All your friends are liars- the ones who never lie to you. The King is oh so truthful. You must know that very well, Seonghwa. Can you think of even one lie the King told you or the public?"

He could think of a hundred, but that was different. "You all fooled me. You all must have enjoyed this."

"Get out of my sight, Seonghwa," Hongjoong glared at him. "Don't call me a friend anymore if you think so."

Seonghwa sighed, slumping further down in his chair. "I just... need time to digest everything. Apparently I've been serving a tyrant with a blindfold on my eyes. You have to admit it makes it harder to believe anything now."

"I understand. But you must believe Eunyoung didn't lie, don't you?"

"If she didn't lie," Seonghwa began, "Why was she going to kill him?"

"She wasn't, and I can say that being entirely sure," Hongjoong said, "She only wanted him to apologise and clear her name. She has served this kingdom longer than you, Seonghwa. She has shed blood for this kingdom and shed her own blood too. She has risked her life numerous times- she was the previous King and Queen's pride. There's no proof of that, however, because she is supposed to be invisible to the public, which makes it easier for the King now to twist the truth however he wants."

"That makes sense," Seonghwa nodded, "But why would the King send her to Utopia for imprisonment?"

"Because she wouldn't have friends who'd risk their life to save her there," Hongjoong let out a sad sigh, "He played us all with that move. And Chaewon... poor soul rotted in the dungeons here for two years, Seonghwa. What crime did she commit other than being a spy's family?"

"I have to admit that this was cruel," he nodded, "I can't imagine what the Utopians must have done to Eunyoung... Hongjoong, I don't know what to do now. Where's the proof to clear her name? How can I make the King do that without being sent to Utopia myself?"

Hongjoong eyes glinted and Seonghwa recognised the look in his eyes- he had a plan. "I think the King has shamed our kingdom way too much. I think it's time he paid for his sins. I can't let you know of the proof until I'm sure you're at my side."

"How do I prove that?"

Hongjoong smiled, "Tell the King you don't believe a word that came out of his mouth about Eunyoung."

Seonghwa fell silent. "Give me a night to think it over."

"Don't make me regret calling you a friend," Hongjoong teased but Seonghwa knew he meant it.

He wouldn't do that. He also wouldn't make the person he loved regret loving him back.

—----------------

"The King fell," you looked at Yunho as you threw the chess piece down with your finger, "Who's the King now?"

"Theoretically," Yunho was grinning, "The King's family."

"And who's the King's family? Who shares blood with the King and refuses to admit it?"

"Yours truly," Yunho took your king piece and put it in the middle, "Regrettably enough."

"There's none other who's fit for the position other than you, Yunho," Chaewon placed freshly baked scones in front of you two. "Should I start calling you Your Majesty?"