Chapter 34

The train was spacious, with comfy seats and large windows that let the warm sun rays in. The seats were arranged in rows, and there was an overhead compartment for luggage. The rhythmic clickety-clack of the tracks added to the nostalgic and amazing atmosphere.

As she looked around, she noticed a woman wearing a black wig, engrossed in her book. She seemed middle-aged, and her gown puffed out as she sat. Sitting nearby was a mother and her six-year-old daughter, pointing out the shrinking trees and catching glimpses of the passing landscapes. The little girl had a smudge on her mouth from the bonbon she was enjoying. Another passenger, a man with wrinkled skin, was buried in his newspaper, his half moon glasses perched on his nose. He dozed off and accidentally brushed against her shoulder. She adjusted herself by the window, taking in the beautiful landscapes while softly sniffling.

She drifted off to sleep and woke up a couple of hours later, only to find that the train had stopped and rowdy voices filled the air as people retrieved their belongings. She wiped the watery sweat from her forehead, feeling it soak into her scarf. Panic set in when she realized that one of her two bags was missing, and most of her clothes were inside it.

Desperate to explain the situation to the security personnel, she found that no one was listening to her. She blamed herself for sleeping longer than intended, regretting the missed opportunity to keep a close eye on her belongings. The past few days had been filled with sleepless nights, and ironically, it was when she finally managed to sleep well that this mishap occurred.

Stepping off the train in her Ankara skirt and blouse, with her scarf tightly wrapped around her, she watched as other passengers warmly embraced their families. She longed for the same connection but knew it was just a wish, a burning desire in her heart.

Just then, she received a phone call from Zaynab, whom she had missed thirty calls from Firdausi and Usman. Overwhelmed with emotions, she couldn't hold back her tears and immediately called Zaynab back, considering her more important in that moment. "Hello, Mama," she whispered, her voice trembling.

Zaynab's voice cracked with worry as she replied, "Hello, Islam. Where are you? Please come back home. I'm coming to get you." Zaynab's words caused her to lose control, and she lowered the phone from her ear, sobbing uncontrollably.

Amidst her tears, a man selling plantain chips called out, "Madam, buy plantain chips!" She ignored him, consumed by her own thoughts and emotions.

Finally, she checked into the New Chelsea Hotel, where she would spend the night before continuing her journey to Lagos. As she settled into her room, she found solace in the comfort of the hotel and eagerly anticipated the adventures that awaited her the next day.

She picked up her phone, scrolling through all the messages Usman had sent her. Tears cascaded down her cheeks as she read, realizing the depth of his disappointment in her. Yet, she knew deep down that she was making sacrifices for both of them.

With a heavy heart, she offered a prayer for a better tomorrow before drifting off to sleep on the plush, comfortable bed.

**

The next morning, she headed straight to the park with her remaining baggage and hopped on the car that was heading to Lagos after booking her ticket.

There were all sorts of food sellers hawking plantain chips, eggs, bread, and other snacks. Passengers around her were buying them, but she stayed reserved in her seat by the window, reminiscing about the times when she could enjoy her flights without anyone invading her personal space. Unfortunately, the woman sitting next to her was quite large and had a not-so-pleasant breath when she spoke. Her voice was deep and not so pleasant either.