Chapter one

All that happened last year. The day uncle Buck died. That was the day I never shed a tear again.
Dusk cried but for some reason I couldn't. I could never bring myself to tears over uncle Buck. I wanted to I really did but no matter how hard I try it was simply impossible.
Anyways, Dusk and I are on foot in California trying to get to D.C.(All the way across the country). We're going from city to city looking for supplies and weapons. I don't seem to sleep alot. I usually watch over Dusk while he sleeps. As the Sun rises Dusk wakes up.
"Did you sleep any last night?"
"Course not."
"You know you can't keep living off caffeine and sugar, right?"
"Yeah and your not gonna drop this are you?"
"Just sleep for an hour. I'll wake you up I promise."
"Fine. But only an hour."
"Promise."
And with that I was almost instantaneously asleep. Images of uncle Buck's face flooded my head, along with the possibility that he was still alive or he'd been torn apart by Meatbags or worse... Boneheads.
As these thoughts and images floating through my head, the seconds seem like minutes, minutes like hours.
Before I knew it I was asleep physically but mentally I was wide awake. I could here every snore and Dusk's footsteps fade away. I tried to move but my body was stuck in slumber. After about ten minutes or so, I felt something picking me up but of course I was too tired to fight back. I was put on their back. After my head dropping on their shoulder, I recognized his scent. It was Dusk but why didn't he wake me up? He continued to walk with me on his back complaining about my weight the whole time. After about 10 minutes I found myself hanging on something hammock like. When I finally start to wake up its evening and the sun is setting. I look around and Dusk has us in an abandoned house. He's holding uncle Buck's shotgun watching the door. I sit up and rub my eyes.
"Sleep good?"
"You lied to me."
"I had to, you weren't sleeping and it wasn't healthy."
"But-"
"And you didn't wake up all day you needed the sleep."
"Sleep is for the weak." As I say this Dusk's face went pale and eyes went wide and my hands are balled up into fists.
"Dawnie you don't have to be." He goes to touch me but I smack his hand away.
"'Dawnie' died a year ago. And she won't be coming back."
"Fine. Believe what you want to believe but I know my 'Dawnie' is still there." He hands me the gun and I watch the door. "Goodnight.... Dawn"
If I could cry I would have balled my eyes out at the sound of Dusk's harshness. But like i said it's simply impossible.
I barricade the doors and windows with old and broken furniture. After I go take a look around and look for food. The last time I ate was about two days ago (i think) so Dusk can eat. I've been lying to him about me eating too. I stumbled upon the kitchen and head straight for the pantry. I find some cans of fruit and other can foods.
Jackpot. I grab the pocket knife I always keep in my boot and cut the can open and start eating the fruit. Wow. I finished the can quickly and to my surprise, I was stil hungry. It looks like Dusk already had his fair share of cans (10). So I ate a couple more. Before I knew it it was three in the morning and I was still up. I leave the kitchen and finally eaten after two days (I think). Yeah I've been giving Dusk all of our food. I think he's in a growth spurt because he eats like he's pregnant. Either way I'd rather be hungry than Dusk. I start to go in the basement and see a punching bag. A smile tugs at my lips as I see it. I go back to where Dusk is sleeping and wait for the sun to rise. As soon as Dusk wakes up I'm going to work on my hand-to-hand combat. I'm a pretty good at it. I've had to use it a couple of times, but I haven't practiced in months. As soon as Dusk wakes up...
I'll get training.