Chapter 6

I don't open my eyes even though I'm falling. I find it funny how my death will be. Of all the ways to die, falling out of a tree was the last way I expected. I smile at the thought of no more suffering and no more guilt. My heart will be at peace. Dusk was my only concern. That pulled my heartstrings. The fact that I died will kill him. 'I'm sorry Dusk. I love you.' was my final thought.
Or so I thought I feel a pair of arms catch my limp body.
"Dawn, why are you so stupid?" I hear someone say. They carry me on their back. My head droops on their shoulder. It's not Dusky. I start to panic but their scent is calming and mesmerizing.
"Oi, are you up yet?"
"Yeah..." I fake yawn and lift my head up and see Jason. I don't want him to know I was awake.
"Good, why were you in the tree?" He says putting me down and leaning me against a tree.
"I wanted to see the sun rise."
"That was stupid. What was is so special about the sun rising?"
"Because he said that the sunrise would be how he rememered me."
"Who?"
"Nevermind." I get up and try to walk away. He grabs my wrist and I yank it back. "It's none of your concern."
"Is it the same person you were screaming about last night?"
"It's none of your business." I walk away. I hear Jason call my name in the distance. I walk to Dusk and see he's just waking up.
"Hey Dawn, what's u--" He gets cut off by me throwing my head on his shoulder and hugging my arms around his waist. He slowly puts his arms around me.
"I'm sorry Dusk..." I say into his shoulder.
"Sorry about what?"
"..."
"Dawn for the hundredth time, I don't blame you. It wasn't your fault."
"Okay Dusk."
"Now, how about we get ready to move to the next town?"
"Alright, but I call gun bag."
"What?! Ugh! Fine..."
"Yes!" I fist pump in the air. Dusk chuckles and starts cleaning up the campsite. I go behind a tree to change clothes. Just as I'm about to change my shirt I see Jason leaning against a tree.
"Don't stop on my account. I don't mind." I throw my knife aiming for his head he ducks just in time.
"Aww, I missed. Now you have to deal with my little brother."
"Little brother? But he's taller than you."
"So what?! I'm average height. He's just huge. Anyways... DUSK, JASON WAS TRYING TO WATCH ME UNDRESS!"
"HE WHAT?!" Dusk comes to where I am with the new machete. "I warned you about my sister!" Jason runs as Dusk chases him with the machete. I face palm and pull my knife from the tree. When they are out of ear range, I quickly change into a black tank top and grey jeans. I throw my black combat boots on as well. When I finish I see Dusk holding Jason with the machete to his throat.
"Dusk, enough. We have to finish packing if we want to get there before dark."
"Fine..." He puts it back in the case. I take it and put the case around my shoulder, so it hangs on my back. I throw Dusk the shotgun and put the pistol in the hip case. I put the hipcase through my belt loop. We start to walk towards the barren highway.
"Can I come with you?" Jason says tailing us.
"Do you even know where we are going?" I say harshly.
"I just found people after being alone for a while. I don't want to be alone again." He says sincerely.
"Fine." Dusk says. I glare at him. "Dawn let him come. He was all alone."
"Fine but first time he tries something, I won't hesitate and pull out my pistol."
"Yes ma'am!" He salutes in a joking manor.
"Alright then..." I say with a sigh. I put my headphones in and continue walking. We finally find the highway and I see a family full of Meatbags. I look back and Dusk nods. I pull the machete out and start decapitating the Meatbags. As I finish off the last one, I see a car with the keys in the car and look at Dusk. I motion him to come towards the car.
I think we have a winner here.