Chapter 8

"It's alright Dawn... I'm here for you..."
Those words the exact words that Uncle Buck told me; Whenever there was a storm he said that exact thing every time. My heart sinks in memory of him for a minute.
Although, I want to cry I can't, It's simply impossible. I almost forgot to see who was holding me. I open my eyes and look at Jason with his arms around me. I start to push him away but, his grip only tightens.
"Stop trying to push everyone away! Especially your brother, you mean the world to him. If he saw you like this, he'd be heart broken." Jason says while I look at him. I suck my teeth and shake my head.
"You know nothing about me... You don't know what I've been through. You barley know my name..."
I slip from his grip and stand to leave the room. Only to be stopped with fear as the lightning strikes.
"I'm going to get Dusk." Jason says as he stands. I quickly grip his sleeve. Not looking up at him.
"Don't. I'm the one whose supposed to take care of him. I don't want him to see me so weak." I say not breaking my concertration on the floor. He sighs but curtly nods and starts to walk out. "Oh, and if you ever mention this... I will kill you." I say with a sinister grin. He coughs as if he's choking and runs out. I start to set up my sleeping bag, after about an hour Dusk walks in.
"Have you eaten anything yet?" He asks looming in the door frame.
"No, not yet. But I'm going to. So relax bro." He gives me a look, that screams 'I don't believe you'. He throws me a can and I catch it.
"We're going on a food run tomorrow. We're almost out." I groan when he says this. I hate food runs. We usually go out into the zombie infested town and kill whatever we find and have to carry it back. It might be easy for me to kill but it's not my favorite thing in the world to do. I sigh and nod.
"Did you eat Dusky?" I question with a worried glance.
"Yeah... About that. Jason and I ate most of the food; That's why we need to go on a food run." He says scratching his neck sheepishly. I quickly snap my head in his direction.
"You Did what?!" I say standing up.
"Uh... We ate most of the food. It was to see who was hungrier." He says stepping backwards. I groan and run my fingers through my long hair. These idiots will be the death of me. I turn around and climb in my sleeping bag. I'm not in the mood to yell at Dusk, to tell him how stupid they are. I just my head to face him and nod while sighing. He stares at me in bewilderment.
"You're not going to yell? Or tell me how stupid we are?" I just look at him and hold my emotionless face. I just stand up and walk past him.
"I'll take the first watch." I say ignoring him completely grabbing my machete and pistol. He stares at me in utter shock as I walk past him. I walk down the stairs and set up a spot by the door. I see Jason starring at me while hiding behind an old couch with Dusk. I hear them whispering, but I can't makeout what they're saying. I look over at them and they drop behind the couch. I just lean against the wall and prop my legs up.
"Dawn, aren't you mad at us?" Dusk says trying to stay completely hidden. I shake my head no and stare at the door.
"Are you sure? You seem mad." He says not believing me. Nodding my head, I heave a heavy sigh.
I continue my watch after Dusk and the parasite.
A couple of hours have passed and I wake up Dusk for his shift.
"Go away.... No my chocolate cake..." He mumbles in his sleep as I shake him awake. I roll my eyes and smack the back of his head. He snaps awake shooting up. I hand him his shot gun. While he glares, I walk up the rigedy stairs and make my way to my 'room'. I enter putting my weapons next to me and climb into my sleeping bag. As soon as I close my eyes, I drift into a sleepless dream where all I see is darkness...
After what seems like minutes of sleep, I'm being shaken awake. I push the person away but they grab my wrist and yank me into a sitting position.
"I suggest you let go of my arm before I break your's." I mutter with my hair covering my face.
"C'mon Dawn. We gotta get moving before it gets dark." I hear Dusk say as I rub the sleep from my eyes. He continues on and on, but I've blocked him out. I stand and go to change my clothes. I look at Dusk who doesn't seem like hes shutting up no time soon.
"Dusk... Get out..." I say with no emotion. He looks and rolls his eyes. He walks out mumbling something about me being bipolar. I change my clothes into an all black hoodie over my white tank top and black pants with my black combat boots. I tie my hair up and put it into a bun. I look over at myself in a broken mirror from the corner of the room. I put the machete strap over my shoulder and gun belt through my belt loop. I look over myself in the mirror; This isn't me. I wasn't born to be a killer. I barley recognize the girl I have become. The sadness I feel is empty like now. If I would cry I would but it's simply impossible. I sigh and put on my weapons where they belong and head down stairs. I see Dusk and the parasite waiting on the couch. When they see me, they spring from their seats. We walk outside without another word said. We reach the town after thirty minutes or so. I pull my hood on and look at the two numbskulls. They nod at me and I run into a grocery store with them on my heels. Let the raiding and carnage begin...