Chapter 3

Cal is both disturbed and relieved by how light the Force feels on their way to the Inner Core. They'd crossed two hyper lanes and a couple of non-Temple Jedi on their rounds, only further cementing that he is out of his time.

But is he forward or back? It has been so long since he held Galactic Standard time – all clocks since he was twelve were to the Empire's date and time, and those meant nothing in the Outer Rim.

He only knows how old he is because BD calculated it.

On the other hand, this could be a blessing. There are no Inquisitors after all, and no Darth Vader.

He's going to hold the call on no Sith. The Council had believed that before the War and it turned out they'd had a Sith Lord in the Senate the whole time.

One memorable meeting is one that had evidently spooked Master Tholme as they were refilling on a space station.

"Antilles," Tholme had stated, firm but cautious. "You're surprisingly close to the Inner Core."

Cal had tilted his head in confusion as his two Temple companions had quivered at the sight of the scarred, scrappy Jedi before them.

...Is that what he looks like? No wonder people never take him seriously... probably a good thing.

He sent the man a weary smile, and he received a curious, somewhat cautious one in return.

"Chasing slavers." The man said simply.

"Gut 'em." Is Cal response. The man nodded.

Tholme had sent him a look.

Now, they head further towards Coruscant, closer and closer to the place of such tragedy and such light, and Cal can't keep quiet anymore.

"...It's so bright, here." He says simply.

Quinlan bounces beside him, not catching the subtlety of Cal's wording. "That's because the Temple is on coruscant nowadays. Was it like that in your time?"

Curiously, Tholme does not hiss at Quinlan to stop badgering him as he has before, simply glanced at Cal in growing wariness as he responds.

"We didn't have a Temple here, no." Not anymore, but Quinlan doesn't need to know that.

The boy's Master frowns further, and as they slowly breached the atmosphere, they are guided to a landing zone beside the Temple.

...Cal hasn't been here since the War began in earnest, since... Master Tapal had... picked him up, for the War effort and to improve morale of the Iron Battalion. It had worked, of course, and given Cal a reason to study so hard to pull himself from his echoes, to stop himself from being a liability. From killing his men.

After everything, he didn't think he'd ever be able to stand right where everything began. The Temple had been destroyed after all. Even the hangars where the GAR had rested. Where the Seventh Sky in its entirety were to park their Venators.

Tholme lands their light shuttle, their belongings light and easy to remove after a light reconnaissance mission that ended so swiftly – one of Quinlan's first Cal has discovered – and so they easily transfer the ship over to the Jedi Pilots on standby.

Cal wishes them a safe flight, but he notes that his word usage made him nervous.

"I wonder..."

Master Tholme hums in question.

"What words I'm using. That are making you all... look at me funny."

The Shadow – as he had described himself to be when Cal was bored during another jump – sent him a good-humoured look. "It's probably all the military terminology. Especially the Mandalorian ones."

Cal freezes, stopping in his tracks, Tholme chuckling as he moves ahead to deliver Quinlan to his waiting friends.

A Mon Calamari Initiate embraces Quinlan firmly into a group hug and drags the gaggle of children back into the Temple, one of the children's other minders following at a more sedate pace.

"Now," announces Master Tholme, Cal wincing at his severe tone.

"Why don't we make our report to the Council, hmm?"

Following Tholme is a chore after that, although Cal gets to ogle at all the things he'd long forgotten about his home. The Jedi Temple had been so empty by the end of the War, it was a wonder that Cal had any memories at all.

But there are some hangovers. He recognises the Archives when he passes them, and the Halls of Healing. They pass by the Creche, and all its warm, bright lights. The Vaults. The Salles. The Room of a Thousand Fountains. Cal realises he wouldn't have seen any of these things if Tholme hadn't been taking them the long way to the Council Chambers, and so when they enter the lift to head towards the Main Chamber, Cal turns halfway towards Tholme and simply says.

"Thank you."

Tholme smiles.

It disappears when they enter the Council Chambers.