A Break In The Friendship

The morning light was breaking through the window, shining right on Lisa's face. She squints as the blinding light crept over her. She blinks open her eyes as a yawn slips out. Trying to stretch her arms, but the jacket she was still wearing restricted them. She looks down and buries her face into the leather, taking in a deep breath. The subtle scent was still lingering behind, but she knew she couldn't stay in bed for long.

"Lisa? You awake?" Sam's loud voice echoed through the hall.

"Yeah! I'm starving, lets go get some breakfast in town!" She yelled back.

Sliding out of bed, Lisa takes off the jacket and starts to look for something to wear.

~~~~~~

Thirty minutes later the two of them were walking out of the house and down the steps to the truck. Climbing into the truck, Sam lets out a sigh, causing Lisa to turn to her with her eyebrow raised.

"Everything ok?" Lisa questions.

"Yeah, I just was talking to Dave last night and he made me think about something that makes total sense." Sam crosses her arms and leans back in the seat.

"Ok? What does that cryptic message from your boyfriend mean?" Lisa starts the truck and heads down the drive.

"Well, he pointed out this trip was for us to have girl time and the fact that you have spent more time crying and stressing over some guy, and not making memories with your best friend that was there for you through this mess that you just went through, makes no sense." Sam turns her head looking out of the side window.

"What do you mean? I've been wanting to spend time with you and you have been pushing me toward him." Lisa says with shock.

"I don't know. I just want some food." Sam shrugs her shoulders.

The ride to the diner was quiet, other than the radio playing a random list of songs off of Lisa's phone. She was starting to feel awful at the thought that she was letting her best friend down. After all she was right, this was a girls trip, to spend together.

The truck pulls into the small diner off the side of the road, as Sam pulls out her phone that was going off like crazy. They had gotten service again, which made Lisa pull hers out as she was getting out of the truck. Aside from the tik tok notifications, there was a text message. She opens the texting app and sees it was a picture from JR. She opens it and is instantly taken back.

"What are you cheesing at?" Sam mocks her as they walk into the diner.

"Look!" Lisa points her phone over to her, showing the picture of JR and Ava. It looked like they were sitting out on the porch behind his house.

"I love that little girl." Sam smiles as she walks over to an open booth.

"Sam? What can I do to fix this?" Lisa sits across from her in the booth.

"I just want to spend some time with you, having fun, being crazy." Sam looks down at her phone texting something.

"Well then, lets plan something this morning." Lisa looks down at the picture on her phone, then locks it and sets it down.

"Sounds good to me." Sam smirks as she looks at her menu.

~~~~~

Two hours later the two of them were pulling up to the cabin jamming out to some music. There was small silver car parked up close by the cabin, causing Lisa to look over at Sam about to say something, but her eyes lit up.

"DAVE?" She screams out the open passenger window.

Lisa turns her eyes out the front again as her best friends boyfriend steps out of the car leaning on the side of it. She scowls as they pull up beside him. After all of this talk of being just the two of them, he shows up? Frustrated from the back and forth, she climbs out of the truck and slams the door behind her.