An Eventful Pigeon Feeding

<< Your POV >>

After waiting for hours, finally, someone came into the reception room. You didn't notice his presence at first, that was until you heard a slight creaking from the floor. You looked up from one of the scrolls you were reading and towards the nearing figure. Assuming the person you were facing was Prince Koumei, you stood up to greet him. When you said his name you expected some sort of response but he just stood there staring at you. Once you said his name a second time he reacted by putting one hand on the back of his head. Then he replied, "the weather is nice today."

"Y-yes it is." After a prolonged silence you spoke up. "Um, Prince Koumei?"

"Yes, Lady (Name). I have some matters to discuss with you."

"Ah, right. I've been waiting to tell you that I'm not the (Name) you're looking for, so if I could just be on my way now?." You got up from where you sat as you set the scroll on a nearby table.

"Lady (Name), please wait for a moment." He said gloomily.

You hesitantly sat back down in your chair. "Y-yes?"

"I'm certain you are who I'm looking for. Here, come with me." He rose from his chair and you followed his movements. He lead you to the same gazebo you had fallen asleep in on the night of the party. You both took a seat at the table, there he handed you a scroll. As you opened it and your eyes flashed across the words. You recalled the scroll as the one you had been reading on that same night you came to this gazebo.

"Are you sure you're not the (Name) I'm looking for? Doesn't that scroll not look familiar to you?"

You glanced down at it in surprise that you had actually been the (Name) from the rumors. You opened your mouth to say something but ended closing it and opening it a few times before actually saying anything. "No, no, no, no, I don't remember this scroll at all, I really think you have the wrong person."

"Hmm, is that so?"

"Yes! So, can I go now?"

"Lady (Name), you do realize you are terrible at lying."

You felt your face grow hot, "I-I'm not lying."

"At least hear why I've been looking for you." He paused for just a moment, "it's not because I fell in love with you."

"It's not?" You let your guard down after hearing that. Yosuke only wanted you to be careful because he thought Prince Koumei was in love with you. Besides that, Yosuke seemed to be joking when he said it. If Koumei wasn't actually in love with you then there was no need to pretend to be someone else. "Fine, say what you have to say."

"So, the reason I've called you here is simply because of your potential. The fact that you were able to read this scroll means you could be a very strong asset for this empire's growth. Not many people are smart enough to understand this material and you seemed to enjoy it."

"What's your point?"

"I'm offering you a chance to live here at the palace while working for the Kou Empire."

You paused to think about this offer for a moment, but it didn't take long for you to come up with your decision. "I'm sorry, but I must decline."

"Are you sure? From what I know you are treated like a servant at your house. If you take up my offer you can live without having to do things like housework again. Your parents won't torment you and you'll be able to live in luxury."

"That really does sound wonderful, but... There is someone I can't leave behind, he is very important to me." You looked down at your lap as you blushed just thinking of Yosuke.