29

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
✧.* ONE STEP FORWARD,
THREE STEPS BACK✧.*

Jeremiah stood in the doorway of Juliette's room, a deep pout on his pink lips, the puppy dog eyes exaggerated with a small whine from the boy, "Come on, please."

She fought the urge to roll her eyes at the childish Fisher, instead just shaking her head as she placed around her room, attempting to tidy up, "Not right now, Jer. I promise we'll go swimming later. How about a midnight swim?"

"Fine. But no canceling." He pointed his finger at her, flashing her a smirk before hurrying away from her room.

She laughed to herself, the small laughter soon dying as she heard a loud commotion from outside of her window, she immediately knew who it was, her fingers lifting the curtain, revealing a stressed out Connie.

Juliette tan her fingers through her untamed her, cursing under her breathe as she sprayed on the one good bottle of perfume she'd brought with her, jogging down the steep steps.

The back door creaked open as she exited the beach house, Conrad's back still facing her as he cleaned up his mothers mess, Juliette placing her hands in her back pockets.

"You're back." She blurted out, internally beating herself up for saying something so bland. God, how desperate did she seen?

"Hey." Conrad acknowledged her, sending her a small nod with gathering paintbrushes.

Juliette blew out a breathe, shaking off his dryness as she stood beside him, "Let me help you..."

"How's you and your dad?" Conrad asked, scratching the back of his neck, desperately trying to avoid the awkward silence.

Juliette furrowed her brows, taken back by his seemingly random question, she pushed her lips out, "My dad? We, uh, we're-we're good."

"Cool." He hummed, taking the stained apron from her arm, "Thanks."

The blonde walked back up the three steps, coming to stand by column, leaning on it casually as she stared down at him, "I-I ended things with Charlie."

"Why?" Conrad asked, a hint of worry in his voice, the lack of eye contact speaking for itself.

Juliette uncrossed her legs, standing upright, "Last night, you and I almost kissed."

"Did we?" Conrad paled, keeping his eyes locked down on the deck floor beneath him, talking as if he was ashamed, "I was pretty wasted. I don't really remember much."

"Wait..." Juliette laughed weakly, almost in disbelief, "Um, are you serious?"

Conrad finally looked to her, flicking his ocean eyes between hers, seeing the furry gathering in her features just by facing him, he shrugged, "Okay, we almost kissed."

"Wha..." She trailed off, staring at him blankly.

"What do you want me to say, I'm sorry?" Conrad conceded, his chin tilted up, blinking at her.

Juliette's lips parted, she could feel her eyes beginning to sting, the hole in her stomach ripping open, "Are you sorry?"

"I don't know." Conrad averted his eyes once again, his jaw clenched as he stared at everything but the girl in front of him, "I don't... Jules, I think about you. I do, and you know I do. I just...can't."

And her she was, back at square one for the millionth time. She crossed her arms, the tears nearly flowing from her eyes, her tone coming off harsher than she intended, "I'm not waiting for you anymore."

Conrad didn't run after her, he just watched her run into the house, he was helpless, a lost cause even.

Juliette slammed the door behind her, locking it, the thought of facing anyone in that house made her feel sick, she shoved her face into her knees.

Her bloodshot eyes trailed towards the picture frame angled on her dresser, her mothers bright smile capturing her angelic beauty.

Juliette parted her lips, sniffling while wiping underneath her puffy eyes, "I really wish you were here."

Even as a child, her mother and Susannah would swear on the fact of Juliette would marry one of the Fisher boys, Steven was never on the table of opportunity.

It was supposed to be "destined".

But Juliette didn't know the boy outside any longer, he was unrecognizable and cold. He wasn't the sweet, loving, and careful Conrad she'd known her entire life. He was a stranger.