xxi. burns and scars

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE ─── burns and scars

༓࿇༓

Yrsa was in pain. She brought her hatchet up, slitting the last man's throat as she coughed, searching for a way out. The fire was all around her now, singeing the bottom of her clothes and threatening her hair. She didn't want to burn her hair off.

She jumped down onto the roof, rolling off of it to land on the muddy floor as she groaned. That had hurt more than she expected.

Struggling to her feet, she found horses racing towards her and she raised her bow, ready to fight once more.

"Yrsa." Sihtric's face came into view, as he leant down holding his arm out. Yrsa sighed in relief, feeling as if she could have cried. Grabbing onto his hand, she accepted his help to pull her up onto the horse back, slumping against his back. "Are you alright? Are you hurt?"

"Do I look alright to you?" Yrsa grumbled as they took off out of the gate, taking deep gulps of fresh air. "I've just fought off one too many people and fallen off a roof."

"You did well." Sihtric clasped onto her hand, squeezing it gently as they rode. Finally, Sihtric came to a stop.

"Lord, we are being pursued by Sigefrid." Uhtred sounded desperate, as Sihtric helped Yrsa off the horse. He and Finan were quick to try and determine whether or not she was alright, looking for injuries. "The Danes are low in number and disorganised. My advice is kill them all."

She batted them away.

"Steapa, put a guard around my daughter. Keep her safe."

"Father, I want to fight them!" Aethelflaed cried.

"You will do as I say!"

"Yrsa, go with them. Rest." Uhtred looked at the auburn haired girl, who nodded and turned away, following the guard and Aethelflaed. She shot Sihtric one final look, sending him a reassuring smile as he nodded.

"I wish to fight." Aethelflaed turned, finding Yrsa, who was groaning as she tried to move her shoulders. "Let me fight. You are in no state to, Yrsa."

"Don't doubt me, lady." Yrsa grinned at her, wiping the blood from her mouth as she spun her axes round her hand. She had yet to have the chance to use them, so perhaps now was the time. "Stay with me, Lady."

Aethelflaed looked like she wished to run, but Yrsa glared more fiercely.

The shield wall broke when Sigefrid rode through and Yrsa and Steapa took it upon themselves, protecting Aethelflaed's back and front, slaughtering anyone who got too close.