The Prophecy

Lilith sat in the massive dining hall, hunched over a bowl of oatmeal. Alpha sat beside her, a cup of coffee in one hand, a German newspaper in the other. Though he was reclined in his chair as casually as always, his eyes fell on Lilith at regular intervals, on the pendent around her neck. She had tried everything to get it off. The clasp was now gone, the metal unable to be broken or melted. It was enchanted somehow, even Alpha unable to remove the jewelry. They had decided to play dumb, pretend they hadn't seen the visions and inferred the sinister meaning of the pendent until they had more information, and preferably a way to get it off.

As she mindlessly stirred her breakfast, she glanced up at see who the steps in the hall belonged to. Lucifer entered the room, his cold gaze finding Lilith's in an instant, a smile stretching across his otherwise harsh, haughty face. She tensed and quickly looked away, his brow furrowing at her response. Alpha looked over to Lilith, then to Lucifer who was still studying the Queen. Much like a predator seeing a threat, Alpha sat up, setting his paper and coffee on the wooden table. Every muscle in his back flexed as he looked over the King, perhaps debating whether to pounce. With smooth, controlled grace, Lucifer moved toward the couple, taking a seat beside Lilith.

"Good morning Asmodeus, Lilith." Lucifer greeted, his eyes falling on the pendent that hung around Lilith's neck. His smile fell and as Lilith looked back up, she was shocked to see a hint of fear in his eyes.

"Can we help you, Lucifer?" Alpha asked, his jaw tight but his voice even. Lucifer tore his eyes from Lilith's neck, his poupous smirk back in place.

"To the point I see." Lucifer remarked, then cleared his throat. "I was hoping to show Lilith around the town nearest here." He said, Lilith tensing again, only daring a quick side-eyed glance at Alpha. Letting out a quick laugh, Alpha sat back in his chair, his arms resting on the wooden armrests. The men watched each other for a moment before Alpha finally spoke.

"No." was all he said, Lucifer exhaling shapely through his nose.

"How about a dinner then. Athaliah is always looking for an excuse to entertain." Lucifer pressed. Alpha's eyes shot to the pendent once more, then back to Lucifer, whose eyes widened in acknowledgment.

"Tonight at 6 work for you?" Alpha said in a tone that sounded half interested. Lilith turned to him, her eyes wide with shock. More occupants of the castle began to fill the hall, including Satan and Eve, hand in hand. Lucifer smiled in response and stood, striding out of the hall without a word. Lilith maintained her gaze on her now cold and claggy oatmeal for a few more moments before Alpha finished his coffee and brushed his foot against hers.

"Would you like to go for a walk my Queen?" He asked in a hushed voice. Lilith looked over to him with a smile, nodding quickly. As the stood and walked out of the dinning hall together, Lilith's eyes finally met Eves. Her spacy, glazed over expression was gone now and she had clearly seen the pendent. It was so nondescript, nothing anyone would remember unless something had made them. Lilith smiled sweetly at her, the mere action tightening her throat with anger and fear. Alpha did not stall, did not look back as he led her from the room and through the castle. They walked in silence, their quickened steps the only sound in the cold halls until they finally made it to the kitchens. This part of the castle was always busy, Lilith often forgetting how many people worked in the shadows. They wove through the chaos to a back door that opened up to a wide gravel drive that twisted around the stone and marble of the imposing building.

The air was fresh and cool, a soft breeze dancing through the lawns past the drive. Lilith wrapped her arm around Alpha's, lacing her fingers between his. They walked through the grass and toward the woods.

"We have to be careful with what we do and what we say from now on." Alpha warned as the walked. Lilith frowned and sighed. She didn't disagree, but she didn't want to tip toe around so many people. With Leviathan able to hear her thoughts, and Lucifer feel her vision and emotions, she wasn't sure how she was going to do it.