Chapter One

"Elizabeth Chase! If you don't come down right now, we're leaving without you!"

Elizabeth sighed and reluctantly rolled off her bed. She landed on her hands and toes, and pushed herself up onto her feet. She grabbed her book and walked towards the stairs. Her mother stood at the bottom, impatiently tapping her foot and looking at her watch. "Come on, we're already running late!"

"Why does it matter? It's not like we're going to something important."

Her mother sighed. "Liz, come on. You know how grannie gets, she'll worry we died or something. Just get in the car please."

Elizabeth walked down the stairs, grabbed her coat and walked over to the car. She got in the backseat and opened her book. The drive to her grandmother's house would take about an hour, giving her enough time to finish her book.

"Still reading about those Rangers then?" Her dad asked. "Is it not time to move on to a new series?"

"Yes, I love them! And no, as I've decided to reread the whole series."

"What's the fun in that? You'll already know what will happen."

"Well I don't mind," Elizebeth said, "it's still fun to read."

"Alright then, you do you."

Elizabeth's mother joined them in the car, meaning they could finally leave. They drove off and soon Elizabeth was fully absorbed in her book.

"GEORGE! Careful!"

Elizabeth looked up disturbed at her mothers screams. She stared right ahead into the lights of another car. It was approaching them at a high speed, and on the wrong side of the road. Thre was no space to their left to dodge the car. Her dad yanked the steering wheel to the right to avoid a crash. But there wasn't enough space either. The cars collided and spun off the road. Elizabeth screamed as they rapidly approached a tree.

They crashed into it.

She screamed again.

But then everything became silent.

And black.

Then nothing.