Chapter Eight

Elizabeth slid from shadow to shadow, carefully watching where she placed her feet. She glanced at the cloaked figure in front of her to ensure he did not suddenly change direction. But the man continued as if he was unaware of her presence. Gaining confidence from the fact he had not called her out, she moved forward towards the next set of bushes.

Focusing on her foot placement, she failed to notice that the man had turned around. "I can see you girl," he called out. She winced and dived towards the bushes. "And now I can hear you too." She remained silent, the dive had been a bad decision.

Her disappointment was lessened when she heard Halt call out Will, who had rushed forward when he thought Halt was distracted by Elizebeth. At least she wasn't the only one who wasn't perfect, Elizabeth thought.

"Come on out then, we haven't got all day," Halt called. He had set them the task of silently tracking and following him, but they also had somewhere to be. Elizabeth and Will quickly joined him and followed Halt down the narrow path through the forest.

"Where are we going? Isn't the cabin the other way?" Will asked, half running to keep up with the Ranger's longer strides.

Halt raised his eyes at the trees above him. "Why does this boy ask so many questions?" he asked.

Naturally, they didn't answer. And neither did his apprentices.

They walked for an hour before they came to a small collection of buildings buried deep in the forest. Both Will and Elizabeth were aching to ask more questions, but knew Halt wasn't going to answer them. So they both held their tongues and waited.

Halt led them towards the largests of the buildings, then stopped, signalling for his apprentices to do the same. "Hello, Old Bob!" he called.

Someone moved inside the hut, then a wrinkled, bent figure appeared in the doorway. His dirty white beard was long and matted, and was the only hair on his head. As he moved towards them, a strange smell penetrated their nostrils. Old Bob smelt like a stable, and it wasn't a clean one.

"Morning to you, Ranger!" said Old Bob. "Who are these youngsters you've brought to see me?"

"My apprentices, Elizabeth and Will," Halt replied. He turned towards his apprentices, "and this is Old Bob."

"Good morning, sir," both of them said. The old man cackled.

"Call me sir! Hear that, Ranger! You got polite ones."

Halt grunted impatiently. "Are they ready?" he asked. The old man cackled again and nodded several times.

"They are ready indeed!" he said. He gestured for them to follow him and led them to the back of the hut, where a small paddock was fenced off. Elizabeth and Will jumped as Old Bob led out a piercing whistle.

Elizabeth watched as three small horses trotted across the yard to greet the old man. All were small, shaggy animals, nothing like the fierce battlehorses that knights rode to war. She glanced at Will, knowing he'd be slightly disappointed at the size of the horses. Will just stared at them.

The largest horse immediately trotted towards Halt, who patted its neck and handed it an apple from a bin close by the fence. Halt leaned forward and said a few words into its ear. The horse tossed its head and neighed, as if they were sharing some private joke.

As the horses had gotten closer, Elizabeth had realised the smaller two were still ponies. They waited by Old Bob until he had given it an apple to crunch as well.

"This one's called Tug," said the old man. "He looks about your side, doesn't he?" He passed the rope bridle to Will, who took it and looked into the horse's eyes. Will was not very impressed, he had dreamt of a tall and majestic horse, that was combed and brushed until it shone. Not of this shaggy, little and unbrushed beast.