Chapter 1

'This place is boring...'

Free thought absentmindedly as he gazed far into the sky. It wasn't like BC Sol was exceptionally fun- but that place was his home. With all the urbanised landscaped and such in the US, it was no wonder Raging Bulls was situated in the centre of this industrialised area. No nature, flora and fauna were just a distant thought in Free's mind.

He heaved a bored sigh. Honestly, he thought at the very least some interesting people could be here- strong bladers to challenge him. But so far, no such luck. Well, Free knew he would ultimately reign the victor, anyways.

Free was idly sitting against the wall on the hard, concrete floor. He was on the highest floor; the open roof, which Free was fond of as it wasn't constricting like the other floors- he had freedom, and this was as close to nature he could get.

Sure, he was accustomed to boredom, but perhaps he had thought a new environment may stir up some fun. Again, no such luck. And things were finally looking up in BC Sol, maybe Valt could be the one to challenge him...

Or maybe not, after all, Free still is the strongest.

The door swung open, the heavy material scraping against the rough floor. The wind bristled, Free's golden yellow hair swaying with the movement as he slightly cocked his head to see who entered.

Shu walked onto the rooftop, his eyes immediately noticing the additional presence. Free noted the way his red eyes narrowed, was he irritated by Free avoiding his query the other day? Who knows, and Free simply didn't care enough to pester.

Shu internally deliberated leaving, after all, Free did enter first. But the latter seemed to not mind his company- or rather, it appeared he wasn't even acknowledged in the blader's eyes. Whilst that was irking and degrading, Shu was more mature than to initiate a riot from such a miniscule detail.

Free turned his head away from his uninvited company, opting to stare into nothing.

Shu briskly walked to the edges of the railing, whereas, Free remained closer to the block of the building in the centre- mainly so he could lean.

"Do you come here often?" Shu asked, after a moment of contemplation- Afterall, Free didn't have the most cordial reputation.

At the responding silence, Shu gave up on Free's answer.

"Do you?" Free asked, flippantly.

"Why would you care?" Shu questioned, it wasn't like Free had any interest in him, or others, whatsoever.

Another beat of silence- ignorance.

"You gonna stay here?"

The query startled Shu. But leave it to Free to be unpredictable and informal.

"Do you want me to leave?" Shu replied, Free off-handedy wondered if he had a thing for questions.

"Hmm," Free hummed in contemplation- not of his reply, rather if he should reply. "Maybe."

"I'll leave soon," Shu confirmed.

Another lapse of silence ensued. Like a schedule; a pattern. Silence. Talk. Silence. Talk.

Silence.

"I don't," Shu began, but it sounded more like a finished statement.

"Huh?" Free prompts.

"Come here often, I mean." He clarifies, Free doesn't see why he couldn't just say that in the first place.

People are weird.

"And you?"

"You're that desperate?" Free wonders aloud.

"Are you that desperate to avoid it?" Shu counters and Free supposes he could see his point.

"Well, I haven't been here long enough for it to be often," Free states half-heartedly.

Which makes sense, Shu agrees as it was still only his first week.

"But, I plan to make it often."

"Hmm..." Shu considers, well it wasn't as if he crossed paths with Free often- actually the time when he talked to Free on the boy's first day had been the last.

"Why are you here?" Free questioned as Shu was surprised at how sociable Free was- well, at least for him.

It was a rude question to be blatant. All of its connotations didn't alleviate that. But Shu didn't really care, maybe he preferred this straight-to-the-point conversation rather than small talk.

"No reason."

"Doubt that. You're always doing something." Free said, his eyes rolling a little at his last word.

Shu pensively glared- nothing too harsh, though. He was calmer than that.

"Well, why are you here?" Shu queried, with a challenging edge.

"No reason."

It was impossible to distinguish whether Free was mimicking- mocking him or honestly responding. Shu released a soft exhale of air.

"Do you miss BC Sol?"

"Do you miss your BeyClub?"

"How do you know about that?"

"Valt and Poncho."

Shu could accept that; it was reasonable enough. He also supposed the latter was Rantaro, did Free think Kiyama's name wasn't worth remembering? Sure, it could be an innocent mistake- No, Shu doubted that. Free is intelligent. He wouldn't forget unless it was his intention.

An intruding voice in his mind asked himself if Free even knew his name.

He rashly discarded the thought- he had no need for it.

The quiet was peaceful, not awkward or suffocating. The atmosphere relaxing and healing.

"You're not training?" Free inquires, since he'd come to the Bulls, whenever he spotted the Japanese blader he was absorbed in some kind of practising.

"Actually, I'll get going," Shu informs, then to answer Free's query says; "I have training to do, after all."

"You do know that training all the time isn't good for you," Free advises carelessly.

"I know," Shu insists.

'Better than most...' He thinks, closing his eyes, halting the memories which flood his consciousness.

Shu turns on his heel, striding to the door he had entered from. He was curious how long Free would stay, monotonously sitting, but alas, it was not any of his own concerns. The air had felt nice- refreshing and freeing, but it was a pleasure he denied himself. He had no time to indulge in such pleasantries when Valt was getting stronger; Lui was getting stronger. He wouldn't be left behind.

He couldn't be left behind.

"See ya," Free says.

Shu waves his hand as he closes the door behind him.

Free sighs as he raises his arms to cradle the back of his head.

'I'm bored again...'