Chapter 5

Shu was reconsidering his whole perception of Free.

Sure, he knew Free wasn't the nicest guy in the world. But he still had some faith in him, now he realised it was misplaced. He knew Free had a tendency to be late, he had witnessed it first-hand with the doctor's appointment. However, being late to something he had organised was just... another level of impolite.

Shu had been standing for 37 minutes, at the entrance of Central Park, only for nothing. The first ten minutes, he could understand, things happen. And, sure, things started getting irking in the twenty, but he wasn't going to take more than twenty minutes so kindly, unless Free had a severe excuse- which Shu doubted. It was nearing the forty mark and honestly, Shu was beginning to believe his suspicion that this was all a ploy to waste his time and Free wasn't going to show up.

"Hey," the familiar voice he had been waiting on called out from behind Shu.

It was peculiar as from the road of his hotel, he should've arrived from the router before Shu, not behind.

"You're late," Shu mentioned, unable to hold back the slight irritation which seeped into his voice.

"You're just early, besides I'm only late by ten minutes," Free replied indifferently.

"38 minutes," Shu snipped back.

"Let's get going," Free said instead and turned abruptly on his heel.

'Last time I'm agreeing to go anywhere with this guy," Shu thought, still quite bitter about the wastage of his time.

Free walked at a slow, leisurely pace, not turning his head to see if Shu had followed. Shu would've preferred to hasten their stride, but he was unaware of the location so he remained accommodating.

"Where are you taking me anyways?" Shu inquired, hoping it was worth the forty minutes wait.

"Excited to find out?" Free commented with a small smile, only making Shu's frown deepen.

'Was he always so infuriating or does it take time for him to show it?' Shu contemplated internally.

Then Free took a brisk turn right into the entrance of McDonalds. Shu gasped for a second. Then blinked stunned.

Free made Shu wait for forty minutes just for McDonalds. Not to mention they passed two other McDonalds on the way here, so where was Free's logic? Shu half-heartedly considered if Free had some kind of mental issue of disorder.

"You coming or?" Free questioned as Shu remained stationary for a moment.

"Yeah," Shu affirmed, exasperated as he opened the door.

Free shuffled to the counter's line, which was thankfully only two people ahead. Shu followed, lingering behind the blader.

"Got your wallet?" Free asked suddenly.

'He's gonna make me pay?' Shu assumed, deadpanned.

"Why?" Shu asked instead, not wanting to assume the worst right off the bat.

"Isn't it obvious, to pay?"

Shu sighed, fishing his black wallet from his side pocket. He honestly didn't want to pay, not because he lacked the funds, but rather because he felt he had already repaid his favour by the gift and his spent time.

"Good boy," Free commends with a mocking smile.

And then it was their turn to order.

"Hello boys!" The cashier greeted boisterously, "What can I get for you today?"

"Three large fries 🍟," Free said simply, contrasting the worker's enthusiasm.

"A apple juice," Shu ordered.