Chapter 9

Shu and Valt had talked and talked and talked. Catching up, reminiscing and enjoying each other's company. Rantaro had joined halfway and the three stayed together for another hour before Shu announced it was time to go. They walked him to the elevator, Valt insisting, unsuccessfully, to go down as well.

Shu found himself smiling, gently, in the solitude of the confined space. He missed this.

Shu tilted his head slightly up to see the rectangular screen indicating he was about to reach ground level. Instinctively, he schooled his expression into a calm neutral. As he walked out, his eyes cut to the right side of the door.

Free De La Hoya.

The blader was leaning against the wall adjacent to the door. His form listless, his eyes closed, his demeanour cool. He seemed out of it- like dreaming whilst standing. Shu figured he shouldn't disturb the guy, so he turned.

"Not gonna say hi?"

Abruptly, Shu's head turned to see Free's eyes wide open and hear his lazy voice.

"Hi." Shu said simply.

"Hm," it sounded accepting, as though he was judging Shu's reply.

Shu stalled, should he carry the conversation or just leave. His brows drew in from thought. A question couldn't hurt, then he'll have plenty of time to go home.

"Are you going to return to Spain after the finale of the award ceremony?"

"It would seem so," Free answered before narrowing his eyes mockingly. "Gonna miss me?"

"Would you?" Shu challenged, unaware of his own answer- he had gotten surprisingly closer to the blader, but it wasn't something solid like a defined friendship.

Less orthodox. Something blurry. Something which only exists between them.

He received no reply, just the spread of a mirthful, mischievous smile. That encouraged Shu to dismiss the question wholly.

A moment of silence passed.

"Leaving so soon?" Free queried, with Valt he assumed Shu would stay at least until sunset.

"Yeah, I have training to do." Shu answered, that, and he could tell that Kit was getting desperate to hang out with Valt and Rantaro. "How'd you know I was here?"

"I wonder," Free played dumb and Shu couldn't help thinking he was being more... annoying, maybe, than last time.

"I need to go now," Shu informed, waving slightly as he turned to leave.

Free watched Shu walk until the other was out of sight. Even then his gaze remained fixed in that direction. After a while, Free shifted and made his way into the building.

...

Free laid in Kris's room. His legs and body spread lethargically over her couch as she was settled in front of her dresser. She was combing through her silky, pink strands with ease and delicacy.

"How has training been?" Kris began, her eyes focused on Free from his reflection in her grand mirror.

"Boring," Free stated, the answer reminiscent of a child.

"Haha, of course you'd say that." Kris said before softening her tone a little. "And your arm? Nothing's happening right?"

"That's been fine for a while now," Free assured, refraining from sighing at her constant worrying.

"I know, just be careful?" She persisted, her eyes ablaze with determination.

"Uh huh," Free replied nonchalantly.

"I mean it," Kris warned seriously.

"Alright, alright." Free relented, exasperated.

Then Free rose and strode over to where Kris was. Kris halted her motions, instead peering at Free inquiringly. He ignored her curiosity, reaching for the bronze comb nestled in her hands. Kris loosened her grip and Free seized the item.

"Something wrong?" Kris asked, confused.

Free ran his slim fingers through her locks and carelessly ran the teeth of the comb through it after. It was satisfying. The way the smooth strands slipped through seamlessly.

Then after a singly brush, Free returned the brush onto the desk and plopped onto the edge of her bed.

"You're so weird," Kris commented in good nature.

"Mhm," Free concurred half-heartedly.

"Excited to leave?" Kris questioned, she sure was, enough drama had occurred in this tournament.

"Sure," contrary to his expectations, his time in America hadn't been absolutely boring.