Chapter 3

Their next meeting was shortly after the last. Due to the tournament's medical staff, both were admitted to the prestigious hospital local to New York's centre. They had suspiciously similar injuries, hence it was not dumb luck they eventually met- maybe it was more dubious they hadn't before this.

Shu was seated on the waiting chairs, still and patient. It was 12:34, he still had twenty minutes before his appointment. Sure, he was polite and early, but typically not to this extent- after the situation he found himself with so much spare time he didn't know what to do with himself.

Training was eliminated due to his injury- he wasn't one to be restrained by his health and wellbeing (not putting much stress on it), but after all the beys he broke and bladers he scarred, was he worthy of wielding Spryzen. Hadn't he betrayed his own bey as well?

Shu had dithered these dark thoughts continually, to no avail or enlightenment.

It was difficult to face his friends. They were perfect- with the warmth, familiarity and kindness they had always possessed, but... Regardless, this left Shu with far too much leisure time with nothing to actually do. Instead, he wandered in his mind, came ridiculously early to appointments and checkups and avoided those involved with the incident.

Being rendered confined in the US as airlines refused to fly in turbulent weather was another issue, one Shu, unfortunately, had no control over.

"Huh, it's you."

Shu jolted slightly from surprise- he was usually alert, aware, his senses honed, of course there were rare exceptions and this fell into them.

The voice was deprived of real emotion, an airy tone; all too familiar. A voice Shu had heard in the week he was stuck in America for. Other than Valt and a few of his friends for mere minutes, it only left-

"Free?" He asked, head turning to see his suspicions confirmed.

"Yo."

"Yeah."

They made brief eye contact before Free abruptly walked around Shu, dropping his listless form into the seat right beside Shu, seemingly uncaring of the other vacant seats surrounding them.

"What time's your appointment?" Shu questions, the aftermath of their prior encounter had ameliorated his perspective on the ex-champion.

"12:00," Free replied hypnotically.

"..." Shu stared at Free, face adorned in a deadpan. "36 Minutes late."

"Hm," he perked up, eyes narrowing in thought. "Suppose so."

"Will they still check you?"

"Have all the other times," Free answered and Shu genuinely pitied the doctor's. "How's your arm?"

"Nothing serious," Shu lied, Free already knew more about him than he'd preferred. "You?"

"Same."

Shu exhaled an exasperated breath. He knew that was also a lie. Free's condition was critical, maybe it was karma for his constant facades. Oh well.

"Valt misses you." Free stated, spontaneous as he was.

"Hmm," Shu hummed, contemplating his response. "I appreciate you telling me."

"Formalities are crap," Free insulted, maybe to indirectly offend Shu. "Is it really so nice always hiding behind them?"

Shu bit his tongue to let his riposte die in his throat. He was not childish enough to be provoked from such a small comment.

"I don't know what you mean."

"Well, faking obliviousness, that's cute." Free said, and Shu was confused by the nature of the comment as a teasing smirk spread over Free's smooth lips.