vi.

chapter six - been trying hard not to get into trouble

🝮

When they felt the van start to slow down Y/n and Percy jolted awake causing their heads to hit one another.

"Ow." They both muttered at the same time and realized why. The two teens were a blushing mess and simply looked far away from the others gaze. Y/n gently shook grover who's head was still on her lap, softly snoring.

"What yes I'm awake." He mumbled when his head shot up.

Y/n chuckled to herself and Percy snorted.

Once they exited the van, Argus unloaded their bags and handed them their bus tickets. They watched as Argus drove off into the sunset, the four teens stood on the sidewalk of the upper east side in New York City. The city that never sleeps. Or the one that smells like piss. Y/n couldn't remember but she was more lenient towards the second one.

It had started raining by the time Annabeth spoke up, "We gotta keep it on the down low, not attract to much attention ok?"

Y/n and Grover nodded while Percy's attention was captured by a soggy flyer taped to a mailbox.

It was a picture of him with words that read: HAVE YOU SEEN THIS BOY?

He ripped it down before anyone would notice but Y/n did. Although she didn't tell him anything. She felt bad for Percy but if she said anything she knew he would simply say that he doesn't want her pity. Knowing from experience.

The words "sorry" and "I know how you feel" were words she knew all too well. And she also knew the emptiness they could have behind them. How hollow these words could make you feel. Because no one truly knows how the other feels. No one has felt exactly the way you do. Which is why it is so difficult to describe it. You can't just pull a dagger out that's been shoved so deep.

So for the best she just kept quiet.

Percy began to think of how close he was to his apartment. His mother and how his horrible stepfather was probably there relaxing and playing poker, not caring.

Y/n watched as Grover started talking to Percy about why his mom married such an awful man. And she smiled at the two friends. Percy didn't care for this stupid quest or Zeus's lightning bolt. All he wanted was to have his mother back.

Y/n grabbed Annabeth's hand after a sense of unease and immediately felt better.

The rain kept coming down.

The four teens got restless waiting for the bus and decided to play some Hacky Sack with one of Grover's apples. Annabeth and Y/n were unbelievable. They could bounce the apple off their knee, elbow,  shoulder, whatever. Percy watched Y/n and her fast movements and thought that it didn't matter how good she was because he wasn't so bad himself.

Sure she was ten times more coordinated and agile than he was and totally intimidated him. But he still believed in himself. At least he thought he did.

The game ended when Percy tossed the apple toward Grover and it got too close to his mouth. In one mega goat bite, their Hacky Sack disappeared— core, stem, and all.

Grover blushed. He tried to apologize, but Y/n, Percy, and Annabeth were too busy holding their stomachs and laughing, almost leaning on each other for support.