Chapter 2

Hannah frowned at Sam’s retreating truck. She turned and walked up the driveway to Emily’s house and through the front door. She squeezed her way through the crowded hallway in search of her best friend. Hannah stood in the doorway of the living room scanning the grinding bodies of her graduating class in search of Emily’s red hair. Not seeing her, Hannah turned and worked her way into the kitchen. She spotted Emily sitting on the island counter a red plastic cup in her hand.

Hannah climbed onto the counter beside Emily, “Hey Em.”

“Hey Han,” Emily exclaimed tossing her arms around her best friend.

Hannah moved her leg out of the way of the brown liquid sloshing over the edge of Emily’s cup.

“Where are your parents Em?”

Emily paused her face scrunched in concentration as if thinking very hard, “Hmm I don’t really know. They gave me three hundred dollars and told me I could spend it on alcohol for the party. They said they didn’t care what else I spent it on as long as the house was spotless when they get home Sunday afternoon,” she said with a shrug.

Hannah rolled her eyes at her friend’s answer, “Your parents are such hippies, Em.”

“Yep, you gotta love those hippies,” Emily said with a grin.

“Can you believe it’s already been four years and we’ve actually graduated?” Emily asked.

“Not really, it seems surreal, that high school’s finally over and the real world it what comes next,” Hannah said.

Emily nodded her head before she brought her cup to her mouth and swallowed half of its contents, “I’m going to need a refill soon,” she said.

“I think you’ve had enough to drink already,” Hannah said gently.

“No that was only like my third… or fourth. Besides we’re finally high school graduates I think I have a right to celebrate,” Emily said.

“Sure you do,” Hannah said taking the cup from Emily and placing it beside her, when Emily once again let the liquid overflow.

“Hannah let’s dance,” Emily said excitedly jumping down off the counter.

“No, Em you know I can’t dance,” Hannah whined glancing into the living room.

“Come on Hannah please, besides these people are drunk and they won’t remember a thing tomorrow,” Emily said pouting.

“Fine,” Hannah unhappily acquiesced as she followed Emily into the center of the living room.

Emily immediately began to move her hips to the beat. Hannah just stood there awkwardly not moving at all.

“Come on Han, dance,” Emily said as she moved her hips.

“I have no rhythm, Em,” Hannah whined.

“Let me help,” Emily said as she placed her hands on Hannah’s hips and began to awkwardly move her hips to the beat.

“Stop Em, you’re making it worse,” Hannah whined.

“Maybe I can help,” a deep voice said from behind Hannah.

Hannah spun around coming face to chest to the best running back their high school had ever seen, Jason Fields. Jason was about average height, he had a caramel skin tone, black close cropped hair, milk chocolate brown eyes, and a stocky build.

“Hey Jason,” Hannah said with a smile.

“Hey Hannah,” he said as he placed his hands on her hips and helped her move with the beat.