Chapter 13

"What are you doing Hannah?" Sam asked his voice floating through the phone to her ear.

"Cleaning," Hannah replied as she turned the phone on speaker and went back to scrubbing her bathroom mirror.

"Would you like to do something more fun than clean?" Sam asked his voice echoing around the bathroom.

"Depends," Hannah said directing her voice towards the phone, as she began to wipe down the counters.

"And what does that mean?"

"Is this something fun for me, or fun for you?" Hannah asked as she lifted her phone to scrub on it.

"I think it might be fun for both of us," Sam said as his end of the line rustled with movement.

"Ok, now I'm intrigued, care to say more?" Hannah asked him as she moved over to her toilet, the last item she needed to clean.

"So you know how you want to be a preschool teacher, right?" Sam started off as Hannah heard more rustling on his end.

"Yeah..." Hannah said slowly as she scrubbed the toilet, a confused look on her face.

"You remember my brother Andrew and his wife Angela?" Sam asked her.

"Yes."

"Well they would like for us to take care of their son David today," Sam told her as she heard more rustling.

"Really?" Hannah asked as she moved to the sink to wash her hands.

Once they were dry she turned her phone off speaker and picked it up, "So what do you say?" Sam asked.

"I think I'm excited, how long are we babysitting him for?" Hannah asked him, as she walked back into her room turning her phone back on speaker so she could dress.

"Just two hours, they want to go get some stuff for his third birthday party next week."

"Ok, sounds great, when are you going to come get me?" Hannah asked as she pulled on a pair of gym shorts, a gray cross country shirt, and tennis shoes.

"Actually I'm in your driveway," Sam told her sounding sheepish.

Hannah pulled her hair into a ponytail and picked up her phone as she looked out her window confirming Sam's story.

"Really, Sam?"

"Yeah, I was hoping you'd say yes," he muttered and she could see him shrug from inside his car.

"Ok well give me a few seconds and I'll be downstairs," Hannah told him as she headed for her door.

"Ok," Sam replied.

Hannah hung up on him as she jogged down the stairs turning off lights and electronics. Hannah opened her door and waved to Sam, before she turned around and locked it. As she jogged down the steps she sent a quick text to her dad telling her where she'd be. Her dad replied with a text to be safe and that he and her mom would be home late that night, as they were going on a date. Hannah opened the door to Sam's truck climbing inside with a smile.

"Hi Sam," Hannah greeted him.

"Hey Han, ready to babysit a toddler?" Sam asked her grinning too, as he backed out of his driveway.

"Of course toddlers, are the cutest things ever," Hannah exclaimed.

"If you say so."

Hannah gasped staring at Sam in shock, "You don't think so."

"Let's just say, I think the best thing about toddlers is I get to give them back at the end of the day," Sam told her as he drove further out into the country.