Chapter 5

“You are such a wimp Sam!” Hannah laughed as she gasped slightly for breath.

“Yeah, coming from the girl who just last week couldn’t run half a mile,” Sam rasped as he squatted on her front porch trying to catch his breath.

“Sure, but I love to run and I gain my stamina back really fast,” Hannah teased him.

“Oh, shut up Hannah,” Sam whined as he walked past her and into her house.

“Do you have any water bottles?” Sam questioned glancing over his shoulder at Hannah.

“Yeah, can you bring me one too?” Hannah called out to him.

“Sure.”

Hannah continued past the kitchen and to the sunroom at the back of her house. She took a seat on one of her mother’s favorite green sun chairs. Sam came into the room a few seconds after her and he handed her a water bottle.

“Thanks.” She told him as she opened the cap and swallowed half the contents.

“You’re welcome,” He replied as he took the seat beside her.

“You know when we were younger I used to hate you,” Hannah said as she glanced through the glass of the screened in porch.

“Really why?” Sam questioned as he turned slightly to face her.

“You were such a jerk to me,” Hannah whined.

“What! No I wasn’t,” Sam frowned rolling his eyes.

“Yes you were! Remember when my brother invited you to spend the Fourth of July at the beach with my family and you found a dead jellyfish and you chased me up and down the beach with that thing.” Hannah replied countering his earlier statement.

Sam laughed as he remembered the exact incident she was describing, “That’s not exactly what I was planning on doing, I wanted to show you the jellyfish when we were kids I was really into marine biology. You took it the wrong way and ran off.”

“Yeah, but you didn’t have to chase me with that creepy thing still in your hands!” Hannah snapped.

“Well, I seem to remember I dropped the jellyfish and gave you a kiss to make up for chasing you. Which now that I think about it was really stupid eleven year old logic,” Sam reminisced.

“Oh my gosh, I remember that! You kissing me just freaked me out more. I was only nine and although boss didn’t have ‘cooties’ anymore they were still not kissable. And then I ran to Justin crying about it. He told me to go tell mom and I did. She just said it was something older boys liked to do,” Hannah stated giggling softly.

“Well, what you never found out was Justin punched the shit out of me for kissing you. He hit me so hard that I hit the ground and cut myself on a glass bottle I still have the scar,” Sam replied lifting his right arm into her vision.

“Are you serious?” Hannah rasped shocked.

“Yeah, your brother was super protective of you, he still is,” Sam muttered sounding as if he had more to say.

“Were you going to say something else?” Hannah questioned raising an eyebrow.

“Nope,” Sam casually said as he reclined against his seat back.

“You know I remember one day during the summer when I was three and I was still fascinated by creepy crawlies, I found a worm and I started chasing you around with it. And you were running away like your life depended on it,” Hannah told him laughing.

“The reason I was running Hannah was because little five year old me did not want to eat a worm,” Sam said.

“Oh yeah, and then I tried to get Justin to eat it.” Hannah reminisced.