VII. I know i'll pay for it

SEVEN

SEVEN.   I know i'll pay for it

      McKenna was the happiest she'd ever been, and it showed on her face

      McKenna was the happiest she'd ever been, and it showed on her face. The people at work were confused for many reasons. One, she never smiled at them. She was always laser focused on other things. Two, she never waved at anybody. She didn't care about others, and she only cared about getting her work done. Hazel was one of the ones to notice how brightly she smiled that day. "Remind me to thank Mr. Hargreeves the next time I see him."

McKenna faltered a little. "Why?"

"For making you smile so much. Your smile's pretty and you never show it."

Hazel was always kind to her. Between him and Cha-Cha, McKenna actually took a liking to him, which was rare. He was a little dense when it came to some things, but, he always meant well. "Why do you assume it's because of Five?" She asked with a small laugh.

Hazel shrugged. "Ever since he arrived, you've been happier." He stated.

She grew an another small smile. "Funny how that works, huh?"

He nodded. "Indeed it is." Hazel then remembered why he came to find her. "The Handler asked me to come find you. "She says she needs you in her office."

"Thanks, Hazel." McKenna went her separate way and took off down the long hallway that led to her boss's office. She knocked on the door once and then walked in.

The Handler was seated at her desk with her usual wicked smile on display. Seeing her walk in, the smile grew. "Kenna, dear, so glad to see you. Have a seat." She insisted.

McKenna shut the office door and shuffled on her feet to sit down.

"You're practically glowing, McKenna." The Handler's smile turned into a smirk. "This wouldn't have anything to do with Mr. Hargreeves, would it?" She asked even though she already knew the answer.

She wished she would stop asking her that. McKenna's dark eyes widened. "Why does everyone keep saying that?" She voiced out loud.

A man can either make a woman feel on top of the world or like she's drowning in sorrow." Her face dropped at the disturbing analogy. The Handler went on. "So! As you know, you are one of not the highest and most successful assassin that the commission has to offer."