XIV. we were something, don't you think so?

FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN. we were something don't you think so?

      McKenna liked to think she knew Five better than anyone because at one point, she did

McKenna liked to think she knew Five better than anyone because at one point, she did. Nobody knew the adult Five. They only knew the younger version of him. McKenna knew a man that was deep and guarded but he really just wanted someone to understand him and she did. He was ruthless but was never cruel to her. He poured out his heart to her and that's not what he was raised to do. Five was raised to be a hero, a person to save the world, a person to make his father look good. But she pulled him away from that.

They needed each other no matter how hard they tried avoiding it. McKenna just wished she didn't screw it up.

There was only one place she knew he'd be for coffee. Griddy's Doughnuts was the best spot in the city for coffee and donuts. She saw him sitting at the counter when she walked in. "I thought I'd find you here."

Her voice caused the hairs on Five's neck to stand up. He didn't turn his head but her footsteps for closer and he saw her black dress from the corner of his eye. She sat in the empty chair beside him. "How'd you figure?"

McKenna shrugged. "They have the best coffee here."

Five looked around him. "I used to come here when I was a kid. Me and all my siblings. We used to eat donuts until we threw up. Luther and Diego would also fight to see who could eat the most." He told her. Finally, he looked at her, seeing her engage in the story. "Why did you come?"

"Where you go, I go." She stated.

Five pursed his lips. It was so hard to be angry at her when she was close enough for him to see the dark brown that swirled around her irises.

A man entered the coffee shop and sat at the end of the counter. McKenna and Five looked away from each other. Agnes came out from the back of the shop. "Sorry, sink was clogged." She said with a chuckle. "So, what'll it be?"

"Uh, give me a chocolate eclair." The man ordered.

She wrote it down on a notepad. "Mm-hmm. Sure." She pointed between Five and McKenna. " Can I get the kids a glass of milk or something?"