XII. I remember it all too well

TWELVE

TWELVE.   I remember it all too well

      McKenna sat on the couch with her ankles crossed and she watched Diego place around the living room

McKenna sat on the couch with her ankles crossed and she watched Diego place around the living room. "Are you okay?" She voiced.

Diego was exactly like her. He kept his emotions bottled in because he didn't want to appear weak. He wanted to be the hero and the one to fix things. But you can only hide your emotions so long before you break. "I'm fine. Sorry you had to be here for this."

She shrugged. "I chose to be here. It's kinda nice y'know? Seeing how siblings interact."

Diego scoffed. "This isn't normal. Trust me." He looked over and saw her face fall again. He sighed and sat with her on the couch. "Don't worry about it, kid. I don't expect you to comfort me. I'm a grown man."

"And I'm a grown woman."

He cringed. "Oh, yeah. Forgot about that, too."

McKenna chuckled slightly under her breath. He took out one of his knives and she watched him twirl it aimlessly. "How're you feeling?"

"He made my life miserable. I'm better off without him." Diego responded emotionally.

She didn't grow up with parents so she couldn't relate to how he was feeling. And the woman who took care of her was ready to kill her. Diego's mom loved her children even if she wasn't a human person.

The pair looked around when all of a sudden, I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany started to play. Diego shook his head. "Luther." He stated.

She furrowed her brows. "What?"

"It's his favorite song."

McKenna started laughing and Diego threw the knife into the buffalo head above them. He got up from the couch and she followed him with her eyes. "What are you doing?"

He closed the doors to the living room. "Don't tell anyone about this." He warned her.

McKenna's eyes widened when he bursted out dancing. She had to blink multiple times to make sure she wasn't seeing things. In all the time she knew Diego Hargreeves, he was a serious man. He hardly ever smiled. He was a vigilante. And now it was like he was a completely different person. She covered her mouth and hid her laughter.