XIX. I can admit I am not fireproof

NINETEEN

NINETEEN.   I can admit I am not fireproof

      The last time McKenna drank with Five was in her old apartment, their glasses filled with wine, and they danced in her kitchen

      The last time McKenna drank with Five was in her old apartment, their glasses filled with wine, and they danced in her kitchen. She didn't drink after leaving. She could barely think of alcohol without thinking of Five. The taste of it brought back his touch, the smell of his cologne, his voice in her ear. She felt sick every time she thought of him. She felt like a dog waiting on the front porch of a home, waiting for somebody to answer the door.

She hated feeling vulnerable. It was exactly why she never let anybody close to her. Why she chose to spend her nights in bars with strange men who'd she never see again. If she didn't let them into her life, they couldn't hurt her. She hurt them before they'd ever have the chance.

The last thing she ever wanted to do was hurt Five and in the end, she did. She left him. The last and greatest night they spent together ended with her never seeing him again. To think about what he was thinking that next morning made her guilty. He had a right to be angry with her. He loved her and she betrayed him.

The alcohol put her in a golden room where everyone finally got what they wanted. Where nothing bad happened. Where it was just the two of them. A bottle of vodka rested on her lap, her hand wrapped around the top, and McKenna sat on the floor with her legs out and her ankles cross over each other.

Five was across from her with Delores beside him. He had a bottle of vodka as well, but he was drunker than her. He could barely keep his eyes open.

"Feeling better?" She spoke.

"Not even close." His words slurred and he took another drink.

McKenna tapped her nails on the glass bottle. She stared at the half mannequin leaning to the side. She took a sip from the bottle. "If I drink anymore, she might turn into a real person." She uttered.

Five laughed. "I hope so."

"Why, so you can date her?" She asked without thinking and took yet another long drink. She wiped her mouth.