26 - haircut

Luz sat on the faux leather seat, arms crossed, and leaning right back, trying to look disinterested by Amity getting a haircut.

But, the latina had no reason to hide her curiosity since the witchling was quite seriously fixated on her reflection as the local hair stylist of a quiet, unaffected-by-the-emperor village.

Earlier, Raine had sent them here to change Amitys appearance, since her mint green hair was rather recognisable. So, Amity decided to dye her hair a different colour, and that being purple.

To both Luz and Amity's despair, they had to go together. "It'll be good friendship repair for the two of you!" Katya had said, having given Amity a pat on the back.

"We're going to dye your hair now, since your bangs are done." said the witch with the scissors, now putting it down on their desk.
"Do you like them?" they asked.

Amity snapped out from her daze and blinked a few times, running her hand through her chest length hair, reaching the side of her head, where her new undercut was.

Luz thought it looked average, obviously because she didn't care about Amity at all. Definitely.

"It-" Amity gulped nervously, but it was the exciting kind kind nervous.

"It looks so cool!" A smile crawled up her face, and Luz looked away.

Her smile was not cute.

In fact, her smile meant nothing to Luz. Duh. They could never be friends after-

No, don't think about it.

"Well, it's no problem! Now let's get your hair dyed, which I can do with magic." the hairdresser smiled back, feeling good about their work. "What colour are ya thinking of?"

Amity took a few moments to think about it.

"What colours do you have?"

They handed over a booklet with a range of witches with pretty hair of all sorts of colours.

"I'll bring over the cauldron-basin whilst you take some time to decide." They said, walking away from Amity,  and past Luz, giving the human a smile.

Luz scoffed to hide her fear of being near a new person, and started tapping her nails against her knee. She hated going outside. She hated people. She hated everything. She also hated Amity.

Actually, hate doesn't seem to fit right. Deep down Luz knew that if she swapped the word "hate" with "feared", it would be a lot more accurate. But she denied the idea of that being true because she'd rather be seen as mean than seen as weaker than she already felt for trying to give up on living and trying to kill herself.

Meanwhile, Amity's gaze lingered at the purple and lavender section. Footsteps of the older witch came up from behind her, slightly making her more weary of her surroundings.

"You picked one, yet?" they asked.

"The- the lilac one, please."

Luz's eyes widened. Amity with lilac hair would look pretty. Not that she wasn't already.

"Sounds good," they replied.

Amity looked back up at the mirror to meet her own golden gaze.

A change seemed quite appealing to the little Blight.

....

"Thank you!" Amity said again as she looked behind her back to see the smiling adult behind her.

Strangely, as she kept walking with Luz not too far behind her, she was smiling to herself whilst she got used to seeing strands of purple hair at the edges of her vision.

She felt good about her new hair.

She felt...closer than she ever felt to freedom.

One step away from her mother's lingering affects on her.

Sure, she was scared of adults and flinched at touch and was on guard and hated yelling, but today she didn't feel too shitty around the hairdresser because they were nice to her. Sometimes Amity found it hard to understand why people are nice because she didn't do anything for their gain.

That didn't matter because now, for the first time in a while, Amity felt good about herself.

(HOPE U R HAVING A GREAT DAY!! I HAVENT PROOF READ THIS, BC PROOFREADING IS FOR THE WEAK >:] )