i. catcher

Maya's goal of flying under the radar for the duration of high school totally tanked on one fateful day when she opened her locker and eighty copies of The Catcher in the Rye—previously announced as missing—came tumbling out.

It was also just her luck that her locker happened to be near the front office.

She sighed and threw her head back with a groan as students around her started turning to look at the commotion. Maya looked down at the books in dismay, not even bothering to pick them up since it wasn't like she could pretend it never happened.

A passerby walked by, crouched down to pick up a book, and handed it to her as they stood back up.

"Hey, you dropped your books," they said with a teasing grin.

She took it from them with an expression just a millimeter short from staring daggers. "Thanks," she said in a monotone, as they walked off the halls with their friends, not even sparing a second look.

The principal watched the happenings from the glass walls of the front office, sighing and shaking his head (most likely disappointed that this was what he had to deal with on a daily basis), before taking a few steps out of the office. He stared down the teen-riddled halls in an authoritative stance, staring straight at Maya in particular. Of course, Maya, having invented terrible timing, was standing in a pile of The Catcher in the Rye as well as holding a copy in her hand.

"Ms. Watson. My office now," said Principal Davis, making a beckoning motion before walking back into the front office, out of Maya's sight again.

"You've got to be kidding me."

After adjusting the straps on her backpack and slamming her locker shut, she walked a lengthy grand total of six feet before entering the front office.

The secretary waved her in, already knowing what it was about, and she gave a small, awkward grin before heading to Davis' office. With two swift knocks on the already open door, she walked in and sat down in silence.

"I'm sure I don't need to explain to you why you're here," Davis started.

Maya bit the inside of her cheek, tapping her foot and staring out the office with its walls completely built of glass. She thought the lack of privacy made it stupid—she thought a lot of things were stupid—but she was quite the advocate for the lost art of biting your tongue.

"Remind me again," Maya said.

Okay, so she wasn't a great advocate, but rather: a liar.

Principal Davis gave her a pointed look.

"We've been making announcement after announcement about every copy of The Catcher in the Rye being stolen since last week," he started.

Maya nodded dully.

"And now, this morning you're found standing in a pile of them spilling out your locker. We do appreciate that they have been returned—albeit unwillingly—and that will lessen your punishment."

"My punishment?" Maya asked, suddenly involved in the conversation. "I didn't do anything though."

Davis raised his eyebrows.

"Then explain why every copy of Catcher was hiding in your locker."

"I—I don't know," she said. "It's just a locker. I'm smart enough to not hide stolen goods in a school locker—I mean, what stolen goods?—and because it's a school locker, anyone could've broken into it and framed me."

"You think you've been framed?"

"Yes."

"You think a student at Midtown is bored enough to frame you for stealing school books?"