iii. remaking friends for dummies

Luck was apparently on Maya's side since the shipments were running late and waited for her to be finished with school and detention to arrive. There was no concrete proof that they had managed to import loads upon loads of products that normally wouldn't pass inspection, but Maya had pictures of faces now.

She pulled the USB out of her small camera after the photos finished uploading to her computer. Maya tucked her camera away into the drawer on the left side of her desk and inspected the photo on her camera.

It was good enough quality and shot at a good enough angle where you could see what was going on and had a clear enough image to incriminate people. She needed to go for the chief of police though, but they were out of town and she needed to wait to be able to ambush them into a recorded admittance of guilt.

The music coming in from her earbuds had her barely noticing the knocks on the door and the soft sound of it creaking fully open from its half-open state.

She whipped her head around to find her father at the door, and at the same time, she slammed her laptop shut, also pausing the music. Her desk shook a little, and consequently, so did her room light that idled right next to it.

Her dad stared blankly before his expression turned into that of a knowing look, tilting his head a little and raising his eyebrows a little. He opened his mouth to speak before shutting it again and giving her a scrutinizing look.

Maya, held a finger up, not wanting to think that she slammed the computer shut upon his entry in that way.

"No, Dad. No," she said.

He shrugged, pretending he had no idea what she was referring to.

"No," Maya added for extra measure.

"Wasn't gonna say anything," her dad said. He pretended to seal his lips shut and throw away the key. "I just came to tell you there's pie in the fridge that Mrs. Carsy next door dropped off for us."

Maya turned back around to look at the small digital clock at the corner of her desk. In red lights, it showed the time 10:23.

"You're running later than normal."

"The dying people can wait for a little while for me to tell my daughter about pie in the fridge," her dad said with a dismissive wave of his hand.

Maya chuckled a little and raised her brows in questioning.

"One of my coworkers is coming from our direction and driving, so he's picking me up."

"Ah," Maya said, nodding her head.

Her dad worked the night shift as an ER doctor, so she was home alone most nights and in the mornings since his shift ran from 11 at night to seven in the morning. A honk came from outside, and her dad perked up a little.

"Well, there's my ride," he said, adjusting his watch. "Don't stay up too late."

"You tell me that every night," said Maya. "Bye, love you."

"Love you."

He walked out of her room and pulled the door back to where it originally was half-opened, half-closed, before peeking his head in once more.

"Make sure to close the door next time," he said.

She opened to say something, but he had already left, leaving her with the memory of his teasing smile and the mischievous glint in his eyes.

Sighing and throwing her hands up in exasperation, she turned back towards her desk and opened her computer again, exporting the photo from her computer to the burner phone and sending it to Cleveland.