Chapter 5

~Kuroko~

"Goodbye Kuroko-sensei!"

"See you tomorrow" Kuroko waved as the last child left with her mother. Grabbing his bag, he left the kindergarten and walked towards the train station. He would be meeting Kise at the airport and although he would never admit it, Kuroko was rather glad that Kise was coming back to Tokyo, even if it was just for a week. He hadn't seen him in a long time since he had become a pilot and hardly ever had time to visit. When Kuroko got to the airport, Aomine was there as well. He and Kise had been dating even before Kuroko and Akashi got together so it wasn't really a surprise that he was picking Kise up.

"Hello Aomine-kun"

"Woah, sup Tetsu, haven't seen you in a while. You here to meet Ryouta?" Kuroko nodded.

"So, how's life?" Aomine asked casually, trying to prevent any awkward silences. They have drifted apart since their high school years and he was never good at starting conversations.

"I'm doing fine, the children at the kindergarten are well behaved. How about you Aomine-kun?"

"I'm doing good as well, being a policeman sure is interesting, seeing so many different types of culprits."

"Kise-kun's flight has landed" Kuroko noted aloud as the two of them looked out for the pilot. Soon enough, a blonde man dressed in his pilot uniform came into view. He waved eagerly to them as he quickened his footsteps, dragging his luggage along behind him.

"Daikicchi! Kurokocchi! I missed you both soooo much!!!" Kise exclaimed, pulling both of them into a tight hug.

"You have no idea how much I missed you, Ryouta" Aomine sighed as Kise released the both of them. With one hand on the back of the pilot's head, Aomine pulled Kise into a deep kiss, completely forgetting about the shadows presence. Kuroko shifted uncomfortably as he tried to look away. When the couple finally separated, Kuroko lightly cleared his throat.

"OMIGOSH! I'M SO SORRY KUROKOCCHI! PLEASE DON'T BE ANGRY! I COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT YOU AND AKA- OW" Aomine jabbed Kise lightly in the ribs before he could continue.

"Its quite alright, um, would you two like to have dinner together or something?" Kuroko deadpanned.

"Oh yeah, sure. I know of a good place not too far away from here. It takes about 15 minutes to walk there." Aomine suggested while helping Kise to take his luggage.

"Let's go! I'm so hungry!" Kise chirped excitedly. Aomine then led the way as Kise and Kuroko followed beside him. Walking on the pavement, the three of them caught up with one another, Kise leading the conversation as usual. Kuroko felt a slight pang of jealousy as he saw how close his ex-teammates were. How they held hands, fingers entwined. How they laughed, joked and chatted with each other. How they looked at each other, love reflected clearly in their eyes. This was how him and Akashi used to be. This was how they could've been, if it weren't for Akashi. No. wait. This could never have been the two of them. Akashi had never loved him. Their love had always been one-sided, unlike Aomine and Kise. Akashi had never thought of him as anything but a mere toy that was to be thrown away sooner or later.

"...Kurokocchi? Kurokocchi? Are you okay? Is something wrong? Hey, Kurokocchi!"

"Huh? Um, sorry, I- Uh, I got a little distracted." Kuroko replied hastily.

"If there's anything bothering you, feel free to tell us, we'll try to help you." Aomine offered.

"Its nothing. Please carry on with what you were saying."

"Okay, as I was saying..." Kise continued enthusiastically while Kuroko zoned out again, this time distracted by a black limousine which had just driven past them. It was just like any other limousine, but somehow, a weird feeling crept into his heart as it sped past. It seemed so... familiar but Kuroko could not figure out where he had seen it before. Kuroko turned his head to take another glance at the vehicle, only to see it turn around the bend, out of sight.