Destiny

"Dear God, Jesus, and Buddha--hell, I'll even pray to Santa Claus. Please let me pass my exams tomorrow." Ryuji clapped his hands three times and tossed a coin in.

"You know Santa Claus isn't real, right?" Ann was in the middle of he and Ryuji doing some last minute praying of her own.

"Well, whoever happens to answer. At this point I'm desperate."

"Shouldn't you have just studied instead of relying on divine intervention?" Akira asked.

Ann slung an arm around his neck. "Divine intervention is the only way Ryuji will pass at this point."

"Yeah, and I don't want to hear that from someone who has Miss President on speed dial. Of course you're going to do well."

"I don't have her on speed dial," he muttered.

"Oh!" Ryuji jumped up. "I just remembered there's a fortune teller in Shinjuku. Rumors say she hasn't gotten a reading wrong yet. We should go see her and get our future read."

"That stuff is just a scam. No one can predict what will happen in advance."

"I've got to agree with Ann," Akira said. "Besides, I'm good."

"It don't have to be about school. It could be about something else." Ryuji gave him a wink.

"What exactly are you implying?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe if you'll have any luck with a certain lady in your life?" Ryuji was grinning from ear to ear.

"If you're talking about Makoto, then stop it. I don't like her. She's just a--friend."

Ann patted him on the arm. "Keep telling yourself that."

He pushed himself up and dusted his knees off. When he turned around, he found himself staring at a boy around his age with a very interesting fashion sense. When he saw Ann, he dropped to his knees.

"I haven't even prayed yet and the gods have already answered. This must be what they call a miracle!"

"Uh, what?" Ryuji looked at Akira. "You know what he's talking about?"

He shook his head. "Not a clue."

The boy leapt to his feet and grabbed Ann's hand. "Forgive me for my rudeness, but when I saw your face I was struck with the most ardent desire to paint you. You are just the type of muse I have been looking for."

"W-what?" Ann was blushing furiously. "You want to paint me?"

"Woah, woah, woah," Ryuji stepped in front of her. "We don't even know you."

"Ah, my apologies. My name is Yusuke Kitagawa. I attend a nearby art school--Kosei High."

That name sounded familiar to him. Ah. He'd heard it on the news lately. "Weren't you a former pupil of Madarame?"

"Oh, yeah. Ain't that the guy who plagiarized his students' work?"

Yusuke's face fell. "Yes, that is correct. It's been quite difficult lately. He was like a father to me. That's why my inspiration has disappeared." He grabbed Ann's hand again. "That's why I'd be in your debt if you modeled for one of my paintings."

Ann nibbled on her lower lip. "What would I have to do? I've never modeled for an artist before."

"Don't tell me you're actually considering this. What if he's some sort of pervert?"

"I am nothing of the sort," Yusuke interjected. "I admire nudity only for the sake of art. If you would--"

"I'm not posing nude!"