v|| THE RED KEEP

A dark, heavy feeling blanketed Ambrosia as she stepped into the castle

A dark, heavy feeling blanketed Ambrosia as she stepped into the castle. She could not define the feeling, something like dread, or the dark shadow of death. Ambrosia felt something lurking in the corners, every corner, something inescapable.

Her expectations of The Red Keep were far different from what she was witnessing. It was depressing, all around, the stone walls seemed to cave in the more she looked at them. As a child, Ambrosia had imagined the Targaryen sanctuary as grand, perhaps a glittering golden caste with beautiful paintings and silvery ornaments. A place that made even the poorest of men feel rich once. Instead, she was met with a grey castle and tapestries of humans indulging in the sins of the flesh. Ambrosia was no stranger to the activities of one's chambers, but she found the portraits tasteless and harsh on the eye.

Ambrosia and Talla were the first ones to step off the ship, both excited for different reasons. Talla excited about the prospect of being a lady, and Ambrosia excited because getting off the ship means they would sooner get on the ship a second time and sail back to Winterfell. She was not fond of the wintery palace of the north, but The Red Keep had a black cloud over it that she could not ignore. Ambrosia's father's words repeated in her head, and a certain nervousness occupied her mind. Maybe the prospect of this trip is what unsettled Ambrosia because this trip was not just for the declaration of the heir, it was also for Ambrosia's declaration, her father's declaration. And although she could not see it yet, her presence would be the ruin of many people, of a dynasty.

"My lady, the princess," Talla spoke in hushed whispers to Ambrosia.

With a clouded mind, Ambrosia looked away from the walls, and in front of her stood the white-haired girl. She was young, about Ambrosia's age, and was certainly a beauty. Her nickname, The Realm's Delight, was suited to her.

"Princess," Ambrosia bowed, "It is an honor." Ambrosia knew her place, and even though her mother told her to never bend the knee at anyone, she recognized she had to play her part.

"And you are...?" Rhaenyra had never seen this red-haired girl, and she knew every princess and prince of the seven kingdoms. Forcibly, of course, being dragged to every name day festival in Westeros.

"My name is Ambrosia Stark, your grace. Daughter of Rickon Stark, Warden of the North." Ambrosia answered. She saw as the princess' brows crossed in confusion. Nobody knew of the bastard daughter of the north and this confusion was something Ambrosia had grown accustomed to.

"I was not familiar Rickon Stark, and Lady Gilliane had a daughter," Rhaenyra said, clasping her hands behind her back.

"They do not, your grace. I am Rickon Stark's bastard daughter from Essos. Nobody knows of me." The words left Ambrosia easily, she had been practicing all her encounters with the royal family on her journey.

'Well then Ambrosia, oh, you must call me Rhaenyra as I must call you Ambrosia. I believe we will be good friends while your stay at the castle." Rhaenyra stepped towards Ambrosia, a small smile on her face. Ambrosia was pleasantly surprised by the princess' welcoming demeanor, half expecting her to be a spoilt child.

"I hope we will be Rhaenyra. I would be in favor of a new friend." Ambrosia had forgotten about Talla behind her and turned to introduce her to her new friend. "This is Talla, my lady-in-waiting, and companion."

"Your royal majesty, it is an honor to meet you." Ambrosia watched in amusement as Talla bowed deeply, and she could see the girl's hands shake as she let go of her dress.

"Thank you, Talla, but there is no need for such formalities, we shall all be friends here." Rhaenyra held onto the two girl's hands, guiding them throughout the castle. "Let us go to the garden. Alicent is currently there."

The walk was short and when they reached two grand doors, Rhaenyra let go of their hands to open the doors. Ambrosia was welcomed with the sight of a lush green garden, a view she was completely unfamiliar with. She grew up in a land of blazing sun and sand.

"Alicent this is Ambrosia Stark and her friend Talla." The princess announced to a young girl, no older than the rest of them. Ambrosia recognized the girl's name, the only daughter of Otto Hightower, the hand of the king. Her mother had mentioned all the household members of The Red Keep. At the time Ambrosia had questioned her mother on the reasons why she taught her daughter these names and their positions but now it was so evidently clear on her mother's ulterior motives.

"Nice to meet you Ambrosia, Talla. I was not aware Rickon Stark and his wife had a daughter." Alicent greeted the two girls as Rhaenyra sat under the large tree.

"They do not, I am Rickon Stark's bastard daughter," Ambrosia repeated her words from earlier verbatim. She was growing tired of it.

"Well sit, you must be weary from your journey." Ambrosia and Talla sat across from the two girls, the blades of grass tickling Ambrosia's legs.

"Ambrosia, you are not from Winterfell, correct?" Rhaenyra asked, her head laying on Alicent's lap.

"No. My mother had me in Essos. I arrived to Winterfell after her death." Ambrosia answered, picking away at the dead grass she spotted. The subject of her homelands made her sensitive, as she remembered her mother and the haunting night of her death.

"Your mother, what was her name?" Alicent asked, and Ambrosia sucked in a sharp breath. She knew questions would arise at her answer.

"Maesella Callisto was her name." Ambrosia quickly answered, not meeting the two girl's eyes.

"Maesella? That is a Valyrian name, but I have not heard of Callisto beforehand. Was she of the common people?" Rhaenyra rose from Alicent's lap, questioning Ambrosia's answer.

"I lived a rich life, princess. I am not familiar with my mother's origins, nor am I familiar with my mother's name or relatives. She never spoke of her Valyrian name or her family." Ambrosia looked up, the tree blocking the sun from her eyes. She tried to say as little as possible and cursed at herself for giving her mother another name.

"Well, Maesella is a beautiful name Ambrosia. I sympathize with your loss." Talla spoke, grabbing onto Ambrosia's hand and giving it a comforting squeeze. Ambrosia gave Talla a smile, and Rhaenyra and Alicent gave the same to Ambrosia. They too knew the pain of losing a mother, especially at a young age like theirs.

"We also have lost our mothers Ambrosia. You are not alone in your grief." Rhaenyra saw the hurt in the redhead's eyes, and she matched the girl's feelings.

"Thank you, girls, truly." Ambrosia smiled at the three girls, a feeling of happiness invading her heart.

But in the far corner of her heart, stowed away deep, she could feel the tugging of dread as the three girls smiled back at her.