xi|| THE DORNISH KNIGHT

Water was harsh and purifying

Hot water, stripped the skin of its beauty, leaving behind the true ugliness of flesh. Raw, pink skin, sinless to any unpurified happenings, that's what adorned Ambrosia's skin. At least, that's how she felt. She knew her skin was fine, it was always just fine, and it was something she learned as a little girl when she put her hand in a boiling pot of water. What should have burned the flesh off, did nothing, and her skin was unharmed.

The second time she learned of her immunity, was when her mother brought a lighted candle to the palm of Ambrosia's hand. She had held her daughter down, and Ambrosia's screams of fear echoed throughout the chambers. Ambrosia was young, just a year older than she was when she had first mounted Kanno. She was left fearful that day, but still, unburnt.

She lay currently inside of the deep wooden bath, steam curling around the edges of the water ripples. The lady who had fetched her the hot water wore a harrowed face as Ambrosia dipped her whole hand into the bath and retracting back a pale hand. She chuckled as the maid excused herself, her hurried steps sounding throughout the hallway, in the direction of the other servants to tell them of what she witnessed. Ambrosia lost all sense of carefulness in hiding her power, or whatever it was.

The peacefulness she had been long longing was suddenly interrupted by the barging of Talla into her chambers.

"You are finally up! I half expected to find you laying in your bed, sulking as usual." The smile Talla wore was freighting to Ambrosia, and she wondered how such a small girl could contain so much joy.

"The princess has requested your presence to accompany her. She will be choosing a knight for something. I think as her father's guard? I am not really sure, but I did volunteer your presence so you can finally leave these chambers for once. Now, let's get you dressed!" Talla liked to talk a lot, and Ambrosia found it amusing how she was able to fit so many words into one breath.

"I appreciate your worrying over me Talla, but I am sure you could had volunteered me for something more interesting than watching the choosing of the king's guard." The two girls laughed at the prospect of Ambrosia's boring day. Talla ushered Ambrosia out of the bath, drying the girl's skin and dressing her in a yellow gown.

"This gown is ugly Talla." Talla laughed at Ambrosia's words.

"I think it's quite flattering on you, my lady. It really compliments your...hair." Talla tried to give assurance to the red-haired girl.

"Do not kid with me Talla, we know yellow does not favor me, nor do I it." Talla quickly braided Ambrosia's hair, as Ambrosia flattened out the creases of her gown.

"All done. You look pretty." Talla complimented Ambrosia.

"Thank you, Talla. I will see you later?" Talla nodded her head at the girl, ensuring that they would meet later during the day. "Do not have too much fun without me." Talla joked to Ambrosia, earning a laugh from the girl.

Ambrosia bid her friend farewell, much to her apprehension, and guided herself to the common hold of the castle. She stood in the middle of the room, looking at the tapestries, noticing a parallel to the day she had first arrived at The Red Keep. It had been many months ago since her arrival, many boring months ago.

"Ambrosia! I anticipate I did not make you wait much for me?" Rhaenyra's voice rang through her ears, and Ambrosia turned towards the princess.

"No princess, I only have just arrived a moment before." Ambrosia greeted the girl with a warm smile.

"I must admit, when I saw Talla in the halls and she approached me, asking if you could accompany me today, I was surprised. She is not one to talk much I have seen, much less to me." The princess weaved her arm through Ambrosia's, guiding them up the steps and through the halls of The Red Keep.

'Yes, she is reserved mostly to herself. But a sweet girl she is." Rhaenyra nodded at Ambrosia, seeming to agree with the girl's words.

The two girls arrived to a small balcony on the halls of the castle. There, they were met my two older men, one who Ambrosia recognized as Otto Hightower, hand of the king, and another man she was not familiar with. A man who she assumed was a king's guard, assuming by his iron suit.

"Princess, Lady Stark. " Otto greeted the two girls. Ambrosia was mostly unfamiliar with him, only being introduced to him by the force of her father. He had been the first person to greet their arrival to The Red Keep, and he had been the first person her father introduced her to as Ambrosia Stark, legitimized daughter of Rickon Stark.

"Princess, Ser Harrod Westerling will introduce each knight respectively. As then you will make take your choosing as you see fit."

The introductions were long and boring, and Ambrosia found her eyes closing at each introduction.

"Do any of these knights have combat experience, Ser Harrod?" Ambrosia watched as Rhaenyra questioned the Lord Commander.

"Besides poaching poachers?" Ambrosia found sometimes she could not contain her tongue. The princess snickered at Ambrosia's comment and Ser Harrod changed the piece on the board once more.

"Ser Criston Cole." The lord commander began to speak.

A young man came into the center of the room, and Ambrosia recognized the Dornish features. A blush came onto her cheeks as he moved his eyes from the princess to Ambrosia.

"Son of the steward of the Lord of Blackhaven." The silence was loud after his introduction but soon after, to ease tension, Rhaenyra spoke.

"Be welcome, Ser Cristion. You saw combat in the Stormlands?" The princess crossed her arms on the edge of the balcony.

"Dornish marches, Princess. I fought for a year as a foot soldier against the Dornish incursions." His voice was velvety smooth, and Ambrosia felt the sinful heat pool in her lower stomach. She paid the rest of the people's conversations around her no mind, as she internally scolded herself.

"Well, let us plan Ser Criston's investiture then. Let us go Ambrosia, see what our friends are up to." At the sound her name, Ambrosia rose her head to look at Rhaenyra. With a nod towards the two men beside them, and a look down at the Dornish knight center of the room, and looked longingly at her, she bid her farewells and followed Rhaenyra through the dark hallways.

"A beauty, was he not?" Rhaenyra glanced at Ambrosia, whose cheeks were still glowing the same color as her hair. "During the tourney, every girl cheered for him."

"He's kind on the eye." Ambrosia shrugged, seemingly composed from the outside beside her redden cheeks, but internally, she swooned at the sight of the Dornish man.

" Do not be coy now, Ambrosia. We all must admit the pleasure of seeing a Dornish man." Ambrosia shook her head at the Princess, surprised by her boldness.

Before Ambrosia could respond, they were interrupted by a maester.

"My apologies Princess, Lady Stark. But your appearance is requested at an emergency session of the small council." The maester walked away after his words, leaving the girls as they were before, alone.

"I am sorry Ambrosia, but I must go. Can you find Alicent and tell her where I am to be?" Ambrosia nodded her head at the princess' request and Rhaenyra gave her small, grateful smile. "I will find you all after the meeting." Rhaenyra turned her back after they greeted each other farewell, with the promise they will see each other later that day.

Ambrosia was once again left with her thoughts. Her thoughts of the Dornish knight.