Amor Vincit Omnia

A/N: Okay, so yes I have changed this a bit. 

Originally Written by: Shawn30

Summary: AU. After three and a half years of separation Vice Chair Starkiller and Jedi Master Naberrie have some unfinished business as the Clone Wars have finally ended and Palpatine is dead.

Story Length: One-shot though I may have to split it into two parts

Rating: T

Category: Romance

Ship: Anakin Starkiller and Padmé Naberrie

oOo

500 Republica

Vice Chair Anakin Starkiller's office

Nighttime

Galactic City, Coruscant

"So, this is how democracy lives. Humbly accepted on behalf of those who died for it by those who were a part of the problem," Anakin quietly mused to himself in private, seated behind his circular, beige desk watching the HoloNet's special news report. Senators whom he knew were once secretly, or perhaps cowardly, in support of Palpatine now appeared before the cameras teary-eyed and humble as if they played a role in the return of order and justice.

The Sith's treachery was finally gone, but its subtle aftereffects would take longer to eliminate fully.

Heavy wind-driven raindrops battered the broad transparisteel-lined panoramic window of Vice Chair Starkiller's executive office, cascading in rivets that reminded him of the skyline's endless lanes of repulser traffic. The wired, restless state of mind that encompassed his current mood had been with him all day long as he worked tirelessly with those in the Jedi Order who coordinated the Supreme Chancellor's rescue effort. He was mentally exhausted and heart-sick, though he hid it as well as ever.

He performed his duty no matter the personal cost to him. It was the most sincere definition of his character.

Tapping an impatient finger over the marble surface of his desktop, Anakin observed Coruscant's climate battling the raging fires and massive foreboding clouds of smoke via powerful thunderstorms over the cityscape. His office view provided a spectacular canvas of the bustling planet that was Coruscant.

The torrential downpour drowned the magnificent scenery in its wake.

In time Anakin turned his attention back to the pale blue holographic image of Lequa, the Rodian elder statesman of the HoloNet being projected on his desktop. He was about to give his final report of the evening. One he was most pleased to hear as it validated the hard-fought efforts of so many... and his own agonizing personal sacrifice.

"This statement comes directly from the office of Supreme Chancellor Organa and on behalf of the Galactic Senate. I am pleased to utter a phrase the whole of the Republic has longed to hear for three and a half years. Ladies and gentleman, the war is officially over."

Loud, boisterous applause and cheering could be heard through Anakin's locked office door from down the corridor that housed the offices of his staff and security detail. News of the war being over was blessed indeed. He almost wished he could join in their celebration. Alas, his heart just wasn't in it.