Pipe Dream

"Oh, come on," Anakin said in annoyance. But the shower continued to dribble out water, unsympathetic to his complaints. He sighed and switched back to the tub faucet, resigning himself to yet another bath. Not that he didn't like baths, but usually he only wanted them every once in a while when he was in the mood for some relaxation. Being forced to take baths all week because the showerhead wasn't working wasn't his idea of relaxation. Baths never washed his hair as well as a shower.

Once she was done, Anakin slipped on a bathrobe and went out into the kitchen. He scrolled through all his contacts, but the plumber he'd been using for years had moved away recently and he didn't have any backup plumbers to call.

Instead, he texted his friend, Deylin. Do you know of any good local plumbers? Mine moved and now I have no one.

Deylin replied a few minutes later. Yeah, I actually found a great new plumber back in the winter when my pipes froze. Here's her number:

The next message read Padmè Naberriefollowed by a phone number. An unusual name, Anakin thought to himself as he saved her contact.

He wasted no time in giving her a call.

"Hello?" she said when she picked up.

"Hi, is this Padmè Naberrie the plumber? My friend recommended you to me."

"Yep, that's me. How can I help you?"

Anakin explained the problems with his shower. "I was hoping you could come take a look at it," he said. "Preferably soon, if you're available."

"Yeah, no problem," said Padmè. "How about... noon on Saturday?"

"That's perfect." Anakin gave his address.

"Great," she said. "And, sorry, but I didn't catch your name."

"Oh, it's Anakin. Anakin Starkiller."

"Uh, could you please spell—wait a minute," she said suddenly. "Like... Senator Anakin Starkiller?"

Anakin grimaced. He hated this part. "Yes, I'm Senator Anakin Starkiller," he admitted.

"Wow." Padmè sounded awestruck. "It's, um, i- it's an honor to meet you, Senator. Well, to talk to you on the phone, anyway."

"Um, thank you," Anakin said in embarrassment. "And please, Anakin is fine."

"Oh."

"So noon on Saturday?" he reminded her after a minute.

"Oh. Yes," Padmè said, still sounding a little dazed. "I'll see you then, Senator."

Anakin rolled his eyes but didn't bother correcting her again. "Sounds good. Thanks so much."

If Anakin had thought much about what Padmè the plumber would look like, he probably would've pictured a 50-year-old woman. Which was why he struggled not to gape openly when he opened his apartment door on Saturday and saw what looked like a supermodel wearing a plumber's uniform.

She smiled at him a little nervously. "Senator Starkiller?"

"Yes." Now it was Anakin's turn to be dazed. "And you're Ms. Naberrie?"