Ch. 16: Nikkah

🎶"Hai tamana humein tumhein dulhan banaye, tere haathon pe mehendi apne naam ki sajaye, teri lele balaye, tere sadqe utaare. Hain tamana tumhein apna banaye... Meri duniya tum hi ho, tum hi asra. Duayein suno, sazayein suno. Mujhe pyaar hua tha, iqrar hua tha.

It's my wish to make you a bride, to decorate your hands with henna in my name, to take away your troubles, to give charity in your name to ward off evil eyes. It's my wish to make you mine... You are my world, you are my shelter. Listen to my supplications, listen to my punishments. I had fallen in love, I had acknowledged it." 🎶

- Kahani Suno 2.0 | Kaifi Khalil

Heer's P.O.V.

"Naraaz hai kya woh mujhse? Phone bhi nahin utha raha," tears welled in my eyes as my lips quivered. I ended the call for the third time after it reached Salaar's voicemail.
(Is he angry at me? He's not even answering his phone.)

"Nahin nahin, woh tumse naraaz kyun hoga bhala?" Ami caressed my face with concern.
(No no, why would he be angry at you?)

Ami suddenly came over as we were preparing for dinner and broke the news that Salaar left to London.

"Toh bina bataye chala kyun gaya woh?"
(Then why did he leave without telling me?)

Anne spoke up, eyes wet and lips forced into a scowl to mask her emotions, "Bata dena usse, Aiza, ke Anne khafa hai. Jab woh aayega, baat nahin karungi main uske saath."
(Tell him, Aiza, that Anne is upset. When he comes, I won't talk to him.)

Ami tilted her head, sighing, "Halima..."

"Main bhi uski ma hoon. Ma se miley beghair ravana ho gaya! Aise kaise chala gaya woh?!"
(I am also his mother. He departed without meeting his mother! How could he have just left like that?!)

"Halima, you know he would never mean to hurt you. The situation became as such that he had to leave immediately and we couldn't even inform you guys."

"He could've sent me a message at least!" I countered.

I was so confused, shocked, surprised, and at a loss for words. Why and how could he leave like that without telling me?

With the days leading up to his move to London, I had already been feeling sad about him going. I kept thinking at least I still have a little over two weeks with him left. And with my nikkah around the corner, there was so much stress and I needed my best friend by my side. I couldn't even fully enjoy my wedding preparations knowing Salaar was going to be gone soon, and now he already was. I wasn't a stranger that he would just disappear without informing me beforehand. I felt abandoned and so alone.

Ami's shoulders slumped as she spoke gently, "It just happened so quickly, beta. Give him some time and he will call you back. He's probably still unpacking and didn't see his phone."

"I had thought I was going to make food for him and freeze them into containers so he could eat them whenever he wants for weeks after he moves. He likes to eat out, but I know he craves Pakistani food when he hasn't had it in a while," the corner of Anne's lips tugged downwards. "What will he eat tonight, Aiza? Did you pack him anything?"

"Yes, I gave him his lunch and dinner."

"Mera bacha," Anne sniffled, looking down into her lap. "Kaise ghar aata tha Heer ke saath jab woh dono primary school mein the, 'Anne, Anne!' pukarte hue. Dono khelte the aur phir dono ko khilati thi. Kabhi mere godh mein sar rakh kar soh jaata tha-"
(My child. How he would come home after school with Heer when they were in primary, calling 'Anne, Anne!' Both of them would play and then I would feed them. Sometimes he would put his head on my lap and fall asleep-)