Ch. 24: Jenga

Heer's P.O.V.

"Salaar." I placed my hand on his cheek gently, calling a bit louder, "Salaar!"

He peeked through his long eyelashes, "Hm?"

I retreated my hand, "Get up. Anne saw us!"

He rolled onto his side, "Oka- what?" He lifted his head, taking in his surroundings. "Oh... Oh."

"Yes. 'Oh.'" I began getting up, pulling the comforter off him and the bed, "Ami invited us over for breakfast. Go get ready and find out if she realized you weren't home last night! What if Anne tells her?!"

He got up and stretched, his strong muscles flexing due to the movement. "Don't worry, love. I don't think she will," he started dressing with a silent yawn while I made the bed.

After Salaar left and I got ready, I walked over to his house. Salaar casually answered the door. I apologized for being late, mumbling quietly about having overslept.

I could barely make eye contact with my mother when I sat down across from Salaar. Ami handed me a plate. As I was about to take a forkful of an omelet, Anne cleared her throat, stifling a smirk, "We should discuss the walima date, Aiza," my mother then glanced at me teasingly, "I don't want to become a grandmother before it."

My eyes screw shut tightly, not wanting to see anyone's reactions to Anne's playful remark.

Given our talk before she left London last weekend, I knew she knew that what she had seen wasn't anything like that. This was just my mother's way of trying to make things easy.

But it still made me wish that the earth would open up and swallow me this very instant.

"Not that there's anything wrong with it," Anne clarified, clearly enjoying mine and Salaar's embarrassed state, "Some couples just push it off for so long that they end up never having it or there's already an addition to the family."

Salaar cleared his throat, reaching for his glass of mango juice.

"Halima..." Baba smiled incredulously, catching her drift.

Hey earth, any time now please. Thanks.

"I was just joking."

"Actually, Halima, I realize that it's going to depend on Salaar's job. Beta, when you go back to London, ask your boss when you will be allowed to take some time off."

"Yes, Ami."

The elders then got busy discussing the logistics of when to drop off my grandparents for their flight back to Pakistan tonight.

Salaar looked up from his plate and our eyes met. A smirk tugged on his lips, clearly finding what had transpired earlier amusing.

I pouted and nudged his foot with mine under the table gently, making him chuckle quietly.

"What's so funny?" Rashid Uncle asked with a smile, curious.

"Nothing, Abu. I just remembered something."

I avoided looking at him for the rest of the meal then collected all the breakfast plates when everyone was done, eager to escape the dining room, despite Ami's protests. I expected Salaar to eventually follow me to the kitchen, but he was kept occupied in conversation with our family.

When I joined everyone in the living room, my grandparents were expressing how much they enjoyed visiting. I took the remaining seat next to my father on the sofas. He ruffled my hair before slinging an arm around my shoulders.

"Iss baar jab Imran aur Halima humain dekhne ke liye aayenge, tum dono bhi aana, Rashid, Aiza. Main koi bahane nahin sunoongi," Dadi ordered lovingly.
(When Imran and Halima come to visit, you two come as well, Rashid, Aiza. I won't hear any excuses.)