Chapter 22

'Why didn't you answer my text?'

'I'm afraid I didn't have an answer for you at the time.'

Edward was so close to Bella that he could tell she was wearing no make-up and the sheer glow of her creamy cheeks and bright pale green eyes knocked him flat. She was even more beautiful than he remembered and a fleeting memory of her pale hands stroking down over his stomach gripped him, resulting in a stirringly strong surge of lust that he very much could have done without.

'Your aunt threw you out.'

'So, that's how you found out where I was living! My uncle came to see me the day before yesterday. He asked me to come home with him but I don't want to cause trouble between them, so I can't,' Bella admitted, distinctly overpowered by Edward's proximity because she wasn't wearing heels and without them Edward towered over her, all broad shoulders and long powerful legs, arrogant dark head tipped back to gaze down at her. And looking up at that moment seemed a definite mistake because his brilliant dark golden eyes were framed by black curling lashes as long and striking as any she had ever seen on a man. He had absolutely gorgeous eyes that froze her to the spot and made her stare while her heart rate accelerated, her mouth ran dry and a knot of undeniable excitement tightened and then unfurled.

It's just attraction, you dummy, she scolded herself a split second later, her skin already cooling with dismay at the strength of her reaction to him. But Edward Zikos was an extraordinarily handsome man and it was hardly surprising that she was reacting to that reality, particularly when she had already slept with him and knew that below his business suit he was even more incredibly fanciable and impressive than he was clothed. That last inappropriate thought struck Bella with such effect and so much embarrassment and self-loathing that her pale skin flamed scarlet, mortified heat crawling over her entire skin surface.

'I've never seen anyone blush that deeply,' Edward confided in wonderment, watching the flush trail down her long white throat and dapple that fine skin with a warmer color.

'You're supposed to pretend you didn't notice, not embarrass me about it further,' Bella told him roundly. 'I used to go through agonies blushing when I was a kid. It's the fault of my fair skin—it's very conspicuous.'

Edward didn't know where the conversation had gone, but then he hadn't come with a prepared script, and as she strolled back into the kitchen to tend a steaming wok a key sounded in the front door and someone else arrived. Edward wheeled round to inspect a fresh-faced young man in his twenties with brown hair and bright blue eyes behind earnest spectacles.

'Matt...meet Edward,' Bella said quietly.

'Oh, right...er...' The hapless Matt managed to smile at Bella and then deal Edward a very different look of angry disapproval. 'Of course, you'll want to talk. Take him to the living room. I'll take charge of whatever you're cooking.'

'Thanks, Matt,' Bella said comfortably, pressing open a door off the hall and waving a guiding hand in Edward's direction.

Edward's talent had always been reading other people and he clearly saw Matt's suppressed hostility and Bella's complete unawareness of it and probably of its most likely source.

'What's Matt to you?' Edward asked the instant Bella closed the door.

'A good friend...and thank goodness for him. At such short notice the university couldn't find me decent accommodation anywhere but a hostel, so I was grateful for Matt's invite,' Bella proffered truthfully. 'Matt and I are on the same course.'

'Why did your family throw you out?' Edward enquired baldly, stationing himself by the window of the small room, which was cluttered with books, many of them lying half-open.

Bella gave him a wry glance. 'I think you already know why.'

'But that news should have come from you directly to me,' Edward told her grimly. 'I had a right to know first!'

'And perhaps you would've done were we in a relationship,' Bella countered quietly. 'But since we're not, the situation is rather different.'