Chapter 27

A reluctant grin slanted Bella's mouth. 'You really do have the gift of the gab, as my Irish mother used to say. Women must drop like ninepins around you in receipt of all that flattery.'

In Edward's experience, women were infinitely more aggressive in their desire to catch his eye and share his bed. His sculpted mouth quirked at her innocence. He dropped his shirt on the floor, ropes of abdominal muscle flexing across his torso below her admiring gaze. Bella dragged her attention from him in embarrassment and shimmied out of her jeans, blushing at the schoolgirl knickers she sported beneath. She had never had the money to buy prettier underwear. That random thought took her brain off the disturbing truth that she was succumbing to Edward's magnetism all over again. Was that wrong?

She wanted him; she wanted him every bit as much as he seemed to want her. He was the father of the baby she carried and he was neither irresponsible nor uncaring and there was absolutely no reason why they should not be together again...was there? Did she have to be sensible Bella all the time? She recalled the end result of rebelling against her sensible self the night she had met Edward. But then that axe had already fallen, she reminded herself doggedly, quickly talking herself into staying exactly where she was.

'You've got that thinking-too-hard look on your face again,' Edward chided, pulling her into his arms. 'It makes you look incredibly serious.'

His body was so hot against the faintly chilled coolness of her own, so hot in temperature and so deliciously different. He was rough where she was smooth, hard where she was soft. Desire snaked through her like a sharp-cutting knife, clenching low down in her pelvis. Her fingertips grazed across his muscular torso as he leaned over her. The kiss he stole was explosive. He moaned and nibbled at her lower lip, all teasing, stirring her up with the occasional plunge of his tongue.

Bella scored her fingers down a powerful hair-roughened thigh and circled his throbbing hardness before pushing him back against the pillows with her free hand. Startled, Edward began to raise his shoulders off the pillows while Bella zeroed in on her objective. Her soft sultry mouth closed over him like a glove and any resistance he had faded fast. Dangling strands of red hair danced across his skin with her every movement.

'OK?' she said, looking up at him, her face as red as a ripe apple.

'Better than...way better,' Edward admitted unevenly, mesmerized by the way she was touching him, craving it more with every passing second.

As she took him deep, his hand tangled in her tumbled hair and excitement filled her as he arched his hips up to her for more. A low groan sounded in his throat, an almost animalistic purr, while her fingers toyed with him and her tongue glided over him. Her pace quickened, her mouth moving over him faster and faster.

'Bloody spectacular...' Edward grated between clenched teeth as she took him up and over in the longest, hottest release of his life.

Bella lay back, feeling vindicated, feeling empowered, no longer the shy, ignorant in need of guidance or instruction. He had really enjoyed that and she knew it. Edward turned her flushed face towards him, dark eyes still tawny gold with arousal. 'You always surprise me.'

Her bra came adrift, his hands kneading her aching flesh while his thumbs skimmed her distended boobs. She closed her eyes, losing herself in a world of sensation while he had his way down over her body, tugging her knickers out of his path to discover the warm, wet welcome already awaiting him because nothing had ever quite excited Bella as much as her view of Edward shedding his smooth sophistication and crying out from the pleasure she was giving him.

With a hungry growl, he eased over her, his recovery rate exceeding her expectations when the heated probe of his engorged shaft pushed against her most tender flesh. A surge of excitement made her inner muscles clench tightly around him. Her heart was hammering. She wanted this, she wanted him so much she was trembling and breathless, on a high of such joyful anticipation she could hardly contain it.

'You feel amazing,' Edward rasped, struggling for control as he worked his way gently into the depths of her glorious body when he didn't feel remotely gentle.