Chapter 11

"This really isn't a good idea," nayayamot kong ulit, I tried to reason out with her habang sinusundan ko siya. We're walking on the sidewalk and there were a lot of people at view sa pupuntahan namin, Rei didn't budge. I grab her arm and she stop walking, "Ipaubaya na lang natin to sa mother mo, siya naman yung doktor eh," I beg, I loosened my grip and she fully faced me. "This isn't about my club anymore," mahinang sambit niya. I frowned, confused. "Anong ibig mong sabihin?"

Rei sighed, she brushed off the hair across her cheek, "Aren't you Manuel's friend?" she asked, more like she's trying to confirm something. Tumango lang ako, a bitter smile crossed her face, "I'm his.." If I wasn't listening carefully, the word would have flew above me, "... girlfriend." I look at her without so much an expression. Ilang segundo bago ako nakareact, "I'm sorry," sambit ko, Rei waved a dismissing hand. "The last time I've seen him was.. we fought, we ended on bad terms and... I regret it." she confessed and heaved a deep sigh, na para bang nabawasan yung bigat na pasan niya. I reach for her arm and gave her a squeeze.

"I just want to know the truth,"

"... about her?"

We were looking at the same person, the host of the afternoon, it was three days ago-- the night after Mrs. Hembra's house burnt down and her body was never found too, did Amanda invited friends to come over her place for a get- together.. curiously, I was also invited- I always thought that she has forgotten me after that incident of her neighbor-- Rei snapped me back from my musings when we arrived in Amanda's backyard. 

Mayroong mga tables na nakapwesto at may simpleng handaan, "Birthday mo ba?" I joked when Amanda closed our distance and greeted us along with the other guests. Nginitian niya ako at ang kasama ko na si Rei, "In a way, haha." she replied cooly, she squeezed my arm almost suggestively. "Mabuti na lang at nakadayo kayo.. and you are?" she asked Rei, "Rei, uhm.. can we have a little of your time?" hindi na nagpaligoy- ligoy pa si Rei, I had to commend her. I look around, most of them are just neighbors but there are unfamiliar faces too.. didn't she said she doesn't have friends?

"Sure, hindi naman ako busy, ngayon na ba?" tanong ni Amanda about sa request ni Rei for an interview. "No! no.. kahit mamaya na lang after, we'll help in cleaning too," Rei suggested, Amanda laughed, "Aw, thanks, sige maiwan ko na muna kayong dalawa, have some foods I prepared na rin while I greet my other guests,"

"Kilala niyo po ba si Mrs. Hembra?"

I was too acutely aware of Amanda's presence beside me to even care what her initial reaction upon hearing that question, I mean, wala naman mali sa tanong ni Rei.. but, I don't know, after that fire incident, will she lie? tinuon ko lang ang pansin ko sa kinakain kong dessert. Niyaya niya kaming dito na lang muna kami maghapunan. "Oo naman, she was a dear friend of mine," may bahid ng lungkot ang boses niya, I glance at her face and she really did look crestfallen, her eyes were a little watery, baka isang artista to noon? I scoffed in my mind.

"Really? pero ang sabi niya ay kinasusuklaman ka niya raw?" diretsong saad ni Rei. May himig na akusasyon sa tono niya, sinulyapan ko siya at sana ay nagets niya yung tingin ko na wag masyado siyang daring. Nagkunwari lang si Rei na hindi niya nakuha yung meaning na gusto kong iparating sa kanya. 

"Pagpasensyahan mo na si Rei, ganyan talaga pag medyo isip bata pa," singit ko sa usapan nila, nakakuha naman ako ng tawa kay Amanda, shit, ayaw ko aminin na medyo nakiliti yung tenga ko sa tinig niya. "Okay lang, ano ba, nagsimula kasi yung sama ng loob niya sa akin when she started accusing me.." pag explain ni Amanda, she took a sip on her wine first, "...na inakit ko raw yung asawa niya," dagdag pa niya.

Rei hummed, I could read what's on her mind, I too don't believe Amanda.. not when we saw her with such a sinister smile three days ago. "It's awful how she died," she murmured softly, medyo nanginig pa ang boses niya. Inabot niya ang tissue at dinampi to sa gilid ng kanyang mga mata, I heard her sniff. I felt a pang of guilt, maybe she's not the woman I saw, madilim na rin naman yung oras na yon.. tanging headlights lang ng sasakyan ko yung ilaw and- "I never even met her husband," sambit ni Amanda, her shoulder shook so slightly, my hand reach out for her and rub her back. Rinig ko ang buntong hininga ni Rei at kasunod ang pag atras ng inuupuan niya, she threw what she was holding right infront of Amanda, yung punit na litrato mula sa newspaper. "Eh, anong tawag mo ryan?" Rei accused.

"Rei, watch your tone," I warned her. Ibinaling niya ang tingin niya sa akin, na para bang hindi siya makapaniwala sa nasabi ko. "Oh now, siya ang kinakampihan mo?" Rei laughed condenscendingly, "I'm.. sorry, I lied, but it's true that.. walang nangyari sa amin!" Amanda interjected in my defense. 

"What the hell... of course, I get it now, kaya pala ang hirap mong kumbinsehin na samahan ako rito, dahil nagsiping na kayo!" Rei spat, disgust contorting her face. "Of course, you're just like Manuel, magkaibigan nga talaga kayo," hindi pa siya natapos sa kanyang mga insulto, my throat tightened, I want to get the fuck out of here but Amanda is gripping my arm. She also stood up, "That's enough.. please, we didn't do it," sabat ni Amanda, trying to get me out of this mess. Rei's expression wavered, she look at my face and back at Amanda, "I'm out of here," tinabig niya ang kamay ko nang sinubukan ko siyang pahintuin sa pagpunta sa sala.

"You're going to end up like them.. you hear me, Miggy?" hinarap niya ako, she was looking at me with a worried face which was trying to hide. She pushed me aside, I didn't move an inch. "Stay here, please," pagsusumamo ko. "You said you wanted to know the truth, right?" I reminded her, she was unsure now, second-guessing her resolve. She took a deep breath, "I think I've known enough," hindi pa rin ako gumalaw sa pwesto ko, hinaharangan ko pa rin ang pintuan.

"Step aside,"

"No."

Tila ba narinig ako ng langit dahil biglang bumagsak ang malakas na ulan, and this time around, I step aside when she tried shoving me again, "Wag ka nang umuwi, just stay here Rei, it's too dangerous driving at this time," pag rason ko sa kanya, diretso lang siya sa pagpunta sa sasakyan niya na nakaparada sa lote. Both of us were soaked with the rain by now.. "Who did this?" hindi makapaniwalang saad ni Rei, I went near her, "Ha?" hindi ko siya narinig sa lakas ng ulan. "Butas yung tire ko!" she tug at my arm and made me look down at her car.

"Siya yata tong may gawa," nangangalaiti nang giit ni Rei. Her arms were already shaking, I grab her when she tried to run inside the house. "Teka nga lang muna!" I hissed, "Kasabay nga natin siyang kumain, paano niya magagawa to?" I snapped, "It must have been one of her guests, mayroon ring mga bata kanina, baka isa sa kanila," she kept shaking me off, not wanting to hear my reasons.

"No! you just don't get it, do you, Miguel?" she raised her hand and pointed at the door of Amanda's house. "She's a fucking psychopath and a compulsive liar."