Chapter 19

Ad Satanas qui laetificat juventutem meam.

Veni, omnipotens aeterne diabolus!

"Babe.. this is starting to creep me out, we really should leave.." bulong ng may hawak ng camera at nakatutok ito sa dalagang kasama niya. "What?! no! Miguel.. this is the fun part! just.. ssh!" umuyog ng konti ang camera ng sinubukan itong takpan ng palad ni Rei.

Parehas silang nakayuko at nakatago sa likod ng makakapal at mataas na damuhan. "I record mo ng mabuti! Look! zoom mo!" utos ni Rei, she was whispering a bit louder than usual. Manuel grumbled under his breath. He wondered why he even agreed to take part in this little devil's escapade. He do love her but she can be annoyingly demanding at times.

Sa harapan nila, mga ilang metrong layo ay may grupo ng mga babaeng nakapalibot sa isang krus na gawa sa bamboo na limang talampakan ang taas. Ang naiiba sa kanilang pinapanuod sa mga sandaling iyon ay may babaeng nakatali rito. Natatakpan ang itsura niya ng mahabang itim na buhok niya. Nakasuot ito ng puting bestida, parehas sa mga babaeng iniikutan siya.

Their hands were clasped together, chanting the same lines over and over again. "Ad Satanas qui laetificat juventutem meam. Veni, omnipotens aeterne diabolus! ... Ad Satanas qui laetificat juventutem meam. Veni, omnipotens aeterne diabolus!-" Ang mga munting buhok sa batok ni Manuel ay nagsitayuan.

"Hindi ba parang sobra na yata 'to? and you said it's just a school club activity that you want to see.. that's why I tagged along--nag iinuman pa naman kami ni--" His voice could be heard clearly in the video without ever seeing his face on it. Naputol ang sinasabi niya nang biglang tumigil ang mga chants pero huli na ang lahat dahil rinig ang mga huling nabigkas niya sa kawalan.

"Ang daldal mo kasi!-" naiinis na suway ni Rei. The camera is still recording the group, one of them walked to where they are hiding. Her face was a blur as the movement of the camera is unsteady as the one holding the camera is trying to get up from kneeling; only the hem of her white dress was caught at that moment.

"Shut it down!"

The screen turned black.

"Wala namang may kamukha si Julya sa video ah.." puna ko. "Akin na nga yan." hinablot ni Sally ang cellphone mula sa akin. I wondered how she got her hand on his phone, it's a crucial evidence.. I didn't say a word. Pinanuod ko lang siya. She was rewinding the video at the part when Manuel zoomed in on the girl tied on the wooden cross. Awfully familiar with how Julya Montenegre died except without the fire. "Baka biktima lang siya ng bullying.. " I tried to put a reason on this one. She didn't say anything. "I wonder.." rinig kong utal niya.

The video played again. She paused it. "Naalala mo ba ang isang suspek maliban kay Rei?" Tango lang ang naging sagot ko. I dare not say her name aloud as fear pricked my throat. "Hindi klaro ang itsura niya.. what's your point?" I said, since she paused it on the girl's hidden face. Her hair was blocking it. She fastforwarded the video on the last part, in time when a member walked steadily on the direction of the camera. Sally paused the video. A still image was formed. A blurry one at that yet as she zoom in not on the nearing figure but rather on the face of the girl who is tied in the background. She was looking at them. We could then make out the structure of her face.

A striking resemblance.. to Amanda.. to Julya.. The family photo I've seen in her room before came rushing back to me.

"Hindi ba siya si Amanda?" pangbasag ni Sally sa nakakarinding katahimikan ko. I shook my head. "No.. this one is too.. young.. must be her daughter.." mahina kong ani, yet it still sounded too loud in my own ears. "How did you?--" she asked. I cut her off. "I saw their family photo, back then.." She knew my cheating record, although I didn't voiced it out loud.