.:3:.

I spent the rest of the day in my bedroom, which Amanda showed me to. It was spacious with a large window, showing the beautiful view of the houses and buildings in the distance. The walls and ceiling were a pure white, along with some of the furniture. Deep purple curtains hung on either side of the window, shadowing it's edges. A violet rug coated the floor, giving it a homey atmosphere. The sheets on my queen-sized bed were the same colour. My own bathroom was like the cherry on top. I loved everything, but like every other room in the house, it looked unused. Yes, it was a spare bedroom, but somebody must have came and cleaned it at some point. This made me slightly suspicious, but I was in no position to judge.

I had finished unpacking my belongings. The mahogany wardrobe was filled with my clothes, the shelves were stacked with various books, my laptop was laid on the desk and my phone was on the bedside table. My laptop and phone seemed to be the only electricity-powered items in the whole house (except the lights and kitchen equipment). I decided not to question it. John looked quite...old. He might not have been into those kinds of things. But then again, there was Amanda. Surely she wouldn't want to only read books, everybody needs to watch TV or check their emails from time to time. My phone told me that the time was nearly 10:00pm, so I changed into my pyjamas. Just as I was about to turn off the light, which was illuminated by a posh-looking chandelier, I heard footsteps outside my door. Next came a soft knock.

"Come in!" I yelled.

Amanda entered, looking slightly frustrated. There were beads of sweat running from her hairline. This didn't stop her from giving me a smile, even though I could have sensed it's falseness from a mile away. Amanda was not good at hiding emotions.

"How are you?" She questioned in an overly polite tone. The woman was nice, but there was something off about her. Honestly, there was something off about this whole place!

"I'm fine," I replied, looking down at the floor. I had to get over my shyness, after all I would be living with her.

"Do you need anything?" Her tone was still filled with fake cheerfulness. I shook my head and plopped down onto my bed. Amanda continued. "You probably won't be seeing John that much. He's sick and needs to go away to a special...clinic." She hesitated, I knew she was lying. "He spends most of his time there and needs my assistance, so you won't see much of me either. I'm sure you can take care of yourself though." Amanda took a glance at her watch and thought for a seconds, like she was remembering something. She fully turned to me. "What day is it again?" A crease appeared on her forehead. Her question surprised me slightly.

"Saturday," I quickly answered. She nodded.

"We'll be gone tomorrow and I called over a friend to look after you for a while. He will already be there when you wake up," Amanda reassured. And with that she switched off the light and stepped out of the room, closing the door behind her. In the distance I could hear her soft voice saying "goodnight".

I stared blankly at a wall, trying to interpret everything she had said. Amanda was a fast speaker, so it took me a while. As much as I hated being babysitted, I could get easily lost in this huge house. However that meant that I would have to meet new people, which I hated. I disliked changes altogether. I rested my head on the comfy pillow and closed my eyes, before reopening them right away. I reached over for my phone and brought it close to my face, hiding it under the covers. It's light blinded me for a few seconds, but my eyes quickly adjusted. I wanted to talk to my friends again. I tapped the 'text' icon and sent a message to the first one of my friends who's name I spotted.

Samara: Hey.

A reply came within seconds.

Dylan: Hi. Are you ok?

Before I could answer, another text came.

Dylan: Is he nice? You know, your dad.

As I was clicking on the individual letters, another message showed up on my screen.

Dylan: Did you get your own room? Is it nice? When are you starting school? Have you met anyone else yet?

I was bombarded with what seemed like millions of questions. I giggled. Dylan was always like that.

Samara: Stop. I can't text that fast!

Dylan: LOL sorry. I'm just worried. How is someone like you going to make it out there?!?!?!

I let out a small laugh, but closed my mouth as I heard two pairs of quick footsteps outside my door.

Samara: GTG I'll talk to you tomorrow.

With that I put my phone back down and shut my eyes, hoping that nobody saw the ray of light peaking from under my bedroom door and into the hallway outside. I wondered who it was. There were at least two people walking past my door. One of them was possibly Amanda, but who could have been the other person? They seemed too fast for John, who could hardly stand by himself. I let the thought slide away, as I drifted off into a dreamless sleep. I found it strange; I had dreams every night.