Part Ten - Demons

The Girl Next Door

PART TEN

AUTUMN

Tara pulled me down the stairs. I was lead into the kitchen. I guessed Tara's mum had bought the ingredients. Tara flung open the cupboard while she ordered me to get thie chicken and  pork from the fridge. I heard rumaging as the cool feeling from the refridgerator touched my skin. It felt cold and refreshing. I could have stood in the doorway for hours enjoying the coldness, but that would make the milk curdle and the yogurt go off. I didn't want to let that happened. It wasn't my house after all. I closed the door putting the packages on the counter. I felt like putting a bit of everything on my pizza...well...not everything. I just felt like being experimental. Tara placed a bowl in front of me. It was filled with  flour and water. Like a sort of ready-mix you can get at supermarkets. I looked at it and I instantly knew what I was supposed to do with it. I dunked my hands right into it. Letting the mixture cover my hands. I massaged at the flour letting the water get soaked up. I let the mixture become a thick dough. It felt smooth and soft. I took my hands out. They were absolutely covered in the stuff. I looked like I belonged as a weird monster from "Ghost-busters" I hummed the theme tune to myself, giggling a little bit. Tara looked at me and impulse took over. I wiped the dough all over her face. She stared into the distance shocked. I laughed. 

"Payback time!" She yelled, she grabbed the bag of flower that was laying on the table next to her. She walked up to me a huge smirk was on her face. I knew what she was thinking. 

"No Tara. For the sake of our marriage. No!" 

"You are really strange sometimes. You know that?" And before I had time to get away from her she dumped the entire contents of the bag straight on top of my head. I squeaked. There was a pool of flour around my feet. Tara fell to the floor laughing.  

"Right i'm gonna go all pro." I said picking up my dough.I counted down from three. Tara was still on the floor watching in a totally mesmerised state. I started by just chucking the ball of goo into the air. Eventually I managed to get it into a sort of disc like shape. I then put it onto my fist and pivoted it around my hand a little. After it had gained enough momentum it was flying around my fist. I kept  going, seeing if I could get it right. 

"This is going to go so wrong." I heard Tara mumble. She picked herself up from the floor and just simply rolled her dough out with a rolling pin. I kept spinning mine. I was having way too much fun to stop. I threw it into the air. It spun about as it fell back to me. I caught it. A huge hole tore in the centre of the dough. I heard Tara stifle a laugh as I looked at my pizza. I smirked at her. 

"That was...meant to happen. Yeah." I looked at her. She looked at me not believing a word I had said. "Pizza dohnut!" I was trying to reassure myself more than Tara. I could make this work. We topped off our pizzas and put this in the oven. Mine was on the top. Tara read the instructions her mom had given her. She scanned the page. 

"It says we should leave them there for fifteen minutes or so." She told me. 

"This is going to taste so yummy." I beamed. How could we be so wrong? When the time rolled around to take them out of the oven we were jumping up and down. But when we did take them out we felt the same as the pizzas...Pathetic. Mine was all burnt and the hole made it look half eaten. It was lopsided and half off the topping had fallen off. I stared at it in utter disbelief. I frowned. 

"Oh no." Tara sighed. "The topping hasn't cooked and the base went all soggy and it's stuck to the pan." I laughed. We had completely failed at cooking, it was kind of embarrassing. Tara looked at the oven. She walked over and kicked it.