Close Call

*Hey guys. Sorry I haven't posted in a really really really long time. I just kinda had writer's block and well a bunch of homework. But now that it's spring break (WOOT WOOT) I'm gonna go crazy on the writing haha. Thanks and enjoy*

Now. Present day New York, New York. June 22, 5:00am

Miaz’s POV:

I was in a small room. It sort of looked like our old hiding spot back in the orphanage. I knew Ben was with me and so was Ellie, but I felt someone or something was in there with us, too. I got out a flashlight and shone the light on two people. I knew one was Alex, but there was a boy. His eyes set on me like laser pointers; his bright, lighting blue eyes.

I awoke with a start and blinked my eyes awake. I looked around and we were still in New York where we were last night; in a wonderful, peaceful, little ally. A sound exploded in the air which was the sound of New York: cars honking. No matter how many times I tried to tell myself that it was a cozy, peaceful, little ally, it really wasn’t. I looked over at Elena who was having an argument with Bennett. Ellie looked down at the bag of chips.

“Just eat it,” I snapped. Elena looked at me with her shinning blue-green eyes. I nodded toward the stale chips and she just looked back up at me, her eyebrows scrunched.

“I don’t like it either Ellie, but it’s all we have. Do you want to eat or not?” Bennett told Ellie in a voice I knew so well: His parenting voice. I never knew my parents, but I’ve heard stories from our old orphanage of what parents were like. But we ran away from the orphanage a long time ago. I was now 15 years young, Ellie was 14, and Bennett was 16. We had all grown and changed, but unfortunately our past hasn’t. That day still haunted me. Since then, we’ve encountered more dangerous creatures. Some I didn’t even knew had existed.

“Mia,” Bennett said snapping me out of my thoughts. I whipped my head around. “They’re coming!” My eyes widened and I grabbed Ellie by the hand. Even though we were older, she was still the youngest and needed to be protected. Obviously, El wasn’t ready to get up, so she ran into a trash can when I pulled her up. She just mumbled an, “ouch” and continued to run with us. I had to admit she was a really good runner. All of us were. Her father was the god of archery, so she was very swift. My father was the god of war, so I ran fast. And Ben’s mother was Athena, so he ran with skill. Each of us had many characteristics of our parents. I took the danger of looking back to see if they were following us as Elena passed me by.

“Come on!” she called over her shoulder. If you’re wondering who they are: They’re creatures, Furies to be exact. But we never wanted to say their name out loud. I don’t know why, though, Ben just told us not to. My chocolate brown eyes scanned the misty corridor. Our bare feet splashed in the rain water and oil mixed puddles. We set down trash cans behind us just to slow them down. In my hand I carried my favorite knife and my beat up black converse. My purple tank top had already been messed up. My jean shorts had strands coming off the bottoms and were also dirty. My brown hair whipped behind me as I ran. I looked back up at Elena. She was wearing a yellow tank top which was now a dim yellow and jeans shorts like mine except she was carrying grey converse. Her golden braid bounced behind her and then I looked over at Bennett who was ahead of us. He kept looking back at us with those stunning grey eyes that nobody could replace. He wore baggy cargo shorts and a blue and black plaid shirt with flip flops in his hand. We ran around a corner and almost ran into a couple kids our age smoking who knew what. I gave them a distasteful look as they looked at me with their red, blurred eyes. ‘Stupid humans,’ I thought as if I were some superhero. I just kept running though. Finally, we ran into the old orphanage which was now abandoned and looked as if it were about to crumble. Bennett was leading us into the place that still haunts me? What is he thinking?

“Turn around!” I called, but he didn’t listen. He ran into the front doors and Ellie followed. I reluctantly followed behind them. We ran down the corridors up the stairs and into Bennett’s old room. He put his hand on the delta symbol and crawled in. I was going back into the room we almost got killed in.