Chapter Forty Eight

Alessandro Maurizio

~•~

I was so fucking unsettled.

I didn't know just how much of my conversation with the guys Jordan overheard, but I knew it was bad nonetheless.

Was it a wise decision to leave her alone after what she heard though? Jordan was unpredictable, but I and my men already had things planned out and I couldn't just hold it off because of her.

I sighed audibly. Feelings were a pretty complicated thing. I knew she must've heard something about the reason she was brought back and I wanted to reassure her that it wasn't the only reason, but I just didn't know how to.

I didn't know how to plead for her to open the door and I didn't know how to explain to her that my interest in her birthed the idea of using her as bait. I didn't know how to tell her that I only cooked that up because I subconsciously wanted a way to bring her back to my house.

I didn't know how to tell her I had feelings for her.

I felt like utter shit. I could barely concentrate on the steps I took down the stairs. Jordan was both the strongest and most stubborn woman I knew and she was crying.

She was crying because of me.

She didn't cry when she was in that situation with Alexi even if she felt so fucking scared. She didn't cry when I revealed the real reason for her parents' death. Fuck, the point was that I had never seen her cry, and now, her soft whimpers couldn't stop replaying in my head.

I paused on the stairs, then I turned back, heading for her room again. I took a deep breath, and raised my hand to knock on her door, but paused.

Why should I bother? As said, she was very stubborn and she had decided she wouldn't let me in. Maybe, I should just let her cool down. Maybe, she would be willing to hear me out by the time we were back.

I held my breath, listening in as I heard her murmur to herself. It was repetitive and incoherent like she was giving herself a pep talk. She probably needed it, having to deal with the mess that was called a mafia.

Coming to a decision, I retreated and let her be. That didn't mean I wasn't fucking pissed at Leo's big mouth.

Technically, it wasn't his fault because I made all the decisions concerning her — he only blurted it out to her hearing — but I really felt like hitting something and his face seemed like a good fucking choice.

When I went back inside my office, the curiosity on Carlo's face was obvious, Leonardo's face was blank, and Patrizio's was filled with concern.

They all stared at me and I returned it with a blank stare. Pat got impatient. "So?"

"So what?"

Pat smiled sadly like he expected my reply. He knew me so much, sometimes, it was annoying. Other times, it was concerning. Right now, however, it was fucking agitating. "She was pretty bummed when I ran into her. Had teary eyes and all. Did you guys talk?"

I put my hands inside my pockets to stop myself from clenching them so hard, I'd end up leaving crescents. "No, we didn't."

His question only made me wonder just how much she heard: when she started listening in. I shook my head, dismissing it. It was a problem for when we came back.

"Let's get going. Tell the guys."

All three of them eyed me warily as Patrizio brought out his phone, sending a mass message to all the men in the house.

It wasn't going to be a long mission. Since we were going to be taking them by surprise, we were at an advantage. There was also the fact that it was possible not all of their men would be in the abandoned church they kept Maya. I was really hoping to meet at least one Luciano though. It would be so fulfilling to end their lives.

I started walking out of the office when I heard Leo's voice. "Boss—"

"Shut up." I didn't let him speak because I knew if I did let him, he may have ended up agitating me even further and leading me to do what I shouldn't have done. He was my head security. I didn't want to have to start finding a suitable one among the other men.

I heard Leonardo's soft sigh behind me and I gritted my teeth, ignoring him. I didn't like to admit it, but Jordan had actually changed me a bit. I was certain I was going soft because before now, Leo would never question my decisions. If he hadn't questioned them, we wouldn't have had to talk about why she was here and we wouldn't have been in a tight situation at the moment.

"Make sure she is looked after," I instructed the ten men that were going to stay guarding the house. They didn't need to ask who I was speaking about. They just knew it was Jordan. That should've been slightly alarming, but it wasn't. "Don't let her leave," I added, remembering the time she ran away as soon as I went to Italy.

They nodded, one of them speaking up. "What if she insists?"

"Make her stay." I shrugged, then I paused. These were trained men I was talking to. Making her stay for them would involve force that they wouldn't necessarily know how to control. If I were to see a scratch on her that was caused by them… "Don't hurt her. If she doesn't listen to you and you can't stop her without making her uncomfortable, let her go."

The men looked at me like I was crazy. "What?"

But I knew that was the best option when it came to Jordan. Trying to make her do something would always end up in her doing the exact opposite of that, although I was hoping that she wouldn't want to leave.

Leaving would only put her life in more danger than it was already in, and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something bad were to happen to her.

"Let her go," I repeated. "Let her go and follow her instead."

Those being my last instructions for them, I and the rest of the men set off. The plan was to go in, save Maya, and kill everyone we set our eyes on. It was going to be bloody, even for us, but it was a risk we were willing to take after what the Lucianos had put us through.

We were halfway to our destination when my phone rang. I should've expected it since that woman ran up to her room, but I tried to think positively.

"Boss, she just left."

I instructed them the obvious; to follow her. The second call came minutes later. I didn't expect the content of this one.

"She stopped at a hotel and she ran into Romano Luciano."

Those words had me on high alert. "Where's the hotel at?"

The address was given to me and we turned around immediately, heading for the hotel where she managed to run into unsuspecting trouble. She probably just thought of him as her lecturer, not knowing he was more than that; much more.

The next time my phone vibrated, it wasn't a call. Instead, it was a text; a dreaded text. It was from an unknown number, which read.

'We've got both flowers now.'

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and ordered Patrizio to drive faster. I tried calling the number, but it didn't exist anymore. When I tried for the fifth time and got the same result, I ended up throwing my phone out the window.

"Fuck!" I finally snapped.