Chapter Forty Four

Jordan Miller

~•~

My first instinct was to scream bloody murder as Alessandro's blood splattered on my top, but Alessandro was wiser than me as he immediately retrieved his gun from his pocket, shot in the direction the bullet came from, and covered my mouth with his injured hand.

I was probably dumb for not carrying a weapon with me everywhere, but I didn't think he would have enemies in Italy. I froze. Whoever shot wasn't aiming at Alessandro; they were aiming at me!

This realization had me looking past Alessandro to the entrance of the park to see a guy in all black running away.

"Fuck, he's getting away!" He yelled, trying to run after him, but I dragged him right back.

"What the hell? You're hurt!" I screamed, panicking as I looked at his arm that had been shot.

He also assessed the wound, releasing another curse. I didn't know what to do, but I knew I needed to stop the blood and fast. I and Alessandro didn't seem to be having the same train of thought though. He sat down back on the bench, unlocked his phone, and passed it to me before holding onto the wound to stop the blood from gushing out.

"You're going to infect it!" I snapped. I was incredibly worried. I knew an arm shot wasn't that drastic, but I knew that losing much blood was never a good thing.

"Just shut up and call Lorenzo."

It was a great idea since I was acting like a clueless idiot. My hands were shaking as I scrolled through his contact list, pressing on Lorenzo as soon as I saw it.

Bringing it up to my ear, it didn't take two seconds before he answered. "Capo."

"It— it's Jordan," I stuttered out.

"Jordan?" There was a panic in his voice that wasn't there before as though he already knew something was wrong. "What happened?"

"It's Alessandro, he's been shot and I don't know what to do!" I cried out, peeking at the man in front of me who was staring at me blankly.

I could hear rattling on the other end and I knew he was already on his feet. "What? Where was he shot? Where are you guys?"

"His left arm, thankfully, and uh, we're at some kind of park that's close to the central market, I don't know."

"We're on our way. Try to stop the blood."

Immediately after, he hung up and for the first few seconds, I didn't move. Then, I looked down at my top. It was a kind of lace and was easily tearable. I didn't waste any time tearing off a piece of it, taking Alessandro's arm in my hand.

He hissed as I tied the material around the wound. It was a very thin material, but Alessandro still held onto it, all traces of pain gone from his face.

When I was done, his head fell back, resting against the backrest of the bench, sighing deeply. Wasn't he scared that the shooter would come back to finish the job? I definitely was.

"Why didn't I bring the fucking car with me?" He muttered to himself.

I blinked at him. "Were you planning to drive with your bullet wound?"

Alessandro looked at me like I was a pest and I kept my mouth shut. It was actually a good thing we'd decided to walk because when Alessandro wanted to do something, he was too stubborn to be stopped. It was quite infuriating sometimes.

Every two seconds, I glanced at his hand. The bullet was meant for me. What would've happened if it had touched me as planned? Would I still be alive right now?