Chapter 1: New Life Stage

"I'm going to become the best Shine in the entire history of BlazeClan!"
"I'm sure you will, sweetie!"

Goslingkit scowled as her mother, Dovetail, began grooming her sister Swankit, all the while showering her with both praises and compliments on her 'unique beauty'.

The brown and cream furred she-cat glared enviously at her sister, who went on bragging about how she'd be so beautiful all the toms would ask to be her mate when she became a full-on Shine.

Goslingkit curled her lip and began grooming her own pelt; that's what she's been doing since young since her mother obviously didn't care enough.

Since young, Dovetail has shown little to no interest in Goslingkit at all, choosing to instead pamper her other daughter Swankit due to the belief that she would be the most beautiful cat in the whole entire clan with her snowy white pelt and round amber eyes.

Almost the whole clan believed she was an angel; that was her devil's disguise.

Whenever she did something bad, Swankit would put on an innocent face and point at Goslingkit so she could take the blame.

Goslingkit was pretty much the 'ugly duckling' of the two, and since her sister was already her mother's world, she was left with nobody.

Well, almost nobody.

"Hello, young Goslingkit." The she-cat glanced up in surprise to see the BlazeClan second-in-command, Commander Azuregale, standing over her with a warm smile.

Azuregale had always helped nurture her, teaching her the code and showing her the love her mother failed to give, which was surprising for a tom in BlazeClan due to their usually questionable opinions on she-cats.

Having lost his mate and kit to a Roadwalker's metal beast, he saw the need to show Goslingkit the love of a father as hers had died during the Season of Frost due to a mysterious disease shortly after she and Swankit were born.

Since then the duo had become inseparable, and Azuregale always treated Goslingkit like his true daughter.

That didn't mean she didn't show him respect all the other clan cats had to give, though.

Carefully reciting the words in her head, Goslingkit placed both paws before her and bowed her head down before mewing, "Greetings, Commander Azuregale of BlazeClan."

Azuregale gave an amused purr and gestured Goslingkit over with his long, silvery tail. The she-kit did so, and immediately Azuregale began to gently groom her.

"Commander Azuregale, I can groom myself!" She protested. The silvery tomcat paused for a moment and chuckled. "You looked like a porcupine, little one, that's why I decided to step in." Goslingkit felt her ears burn with embarrassment and ducked her head.

"On that note, you're becoming an apprentice today. How do you feel?" Azuregale paused his grooming and gazed at the kit, his amber eyes curious. "Unhappy."

"Why so?" Goslingkit sighed and answered, "Because I can't be a warrior due to the code and I can't be a Shine because Cougarstar and Dovetail think I'm too ugly. Being a medic sounds so boring!"