Chapter 16

I didn't see Leo during the remainder of the week, so I had time to concentrate on my studies. I had a difficult time on one of the tests in Philosophy despite my confidence after studying for it. My professor said she was concerned and asked me if I was having any problems lately. I couldn't tell her the truth—Yes, Dr. Pettinger, I've got a new job killing people that's really taking its toll on me—so, I half-lied and said that I was distracted by the difficulties of a new job. She only shook her head and said that she knew I could do better, that I had been doing so well up until recently.

Leo hadn't made an appearance by Friday, so I went home to unwind. I looked at the new assignment and saw that the mark was in Buckhead. I'd have to check it out at some point, and the weekend was the best time to do it, since I was at home and had no classes. In order to distract my parents from their suspicions, I concocted a story that I had recently gotten a part-time job as a courier, making deliveries during the weekends so as not to interfere with my class schedule.

Friday night, shortly after arriving home, I was sitting in the kitchen with a bologna sandwich. My mom walked through carrying a basket of dirty laundry and placed it on the floor in front of the washer.

"I got a job, mom."

Without looking at me, she turned the knob on the washer and raised the lid. "You did? Doing what?"

"I'm a courier for a medical lab," I said. "I pick up specimens and take them back for analysis."

She bent over, picked up the basket, set it on top of the dryer, and began separating out the darks, dropping them into the washer. She looked at me, her face contorted with concern. "Not like urine samples, are they?"

"Any kind of specimens. Blood, urine, feces. Whatever needs to be tested, I guess." I shrugged and took a bite of my sandwich.

"Ew," she said, "honey, that's disgusting."

"It's not as bad as it sounds. The samples are sealed in containers so I don't have to touch them."

"That's a relief. I don't want to think of my son messing with other people's bodily fluids."

"Well, when you put it that way," I said, "it does sound pretty gross. But, I don't have to touch the bottles. They're in sealed bags."

"What're they paying you?"

"Ten an hour to start with."

She looked back at me while she turned a pair of my sister's blue jeans right side out. "What about studying on the weekends? Won't it interfere?"

"It shouldn't. I do most of my studying in the evenings during the week." My mind was whirring as I continued to fashion the lie. Of all the jobs out there, why did I have to pick this one?

"How big is this company? What's the name of it?"

"It's called LabCorp," I said, naming the first lab that came to mind. "It's pretty large. I think they've got more than a hundred people."

"I've heard of them," she said. "Yeah. I think they're a pretty large outfit." She shoved more clothes into the washer. "Well, I'm happy for you. Have you told your dad about it?"

I drank some fruit punch. "No, not yet. I know he'll turn it into an inquisition about how it'll impact my grades."

"You're right. But, you know, he only wants you to succeed at school so you'll be able to get a respectable job when you graduate."

"I know, but I have an opportunity to make a little money while I'm in school, which is nice. I know some people who're working at fast food places to make extra money. It's hard to find a decent job when you're a student."