1.04 - Captian Martin?

Harley sat on apparatus floor the floor fixing some of the oxygen tanks, she was making sure they were all up to date and working

Harley sat on apparatus floor the floor fixing some of the oxygen tanks, she was making sure they were all up to date and working. She's had firefighters in the past die from the tanks running low. Ever since tat se would spend 20 minutes every shift making sure they worked just fine. It was her way of... coping. On the other side of the apparatus floor was truck 81 rolling up hoses, shay was putting away new supplies and Dawson was walking toward 81. She had her jumper zipped up over her white teeshirt and had some oil stains on her face. In the corner of her eye she saw the candidate walk up to Shay.

Peter mills made his way over to the blonde Paramedic, Shay, as Dawson had said. He had a bit of a smile on his face as he was assuming stuff.

"Hey." He said, Shay looked up from her folder for a second.

"Hey." She replied back.

"I'm Peter Mills. Uh...Pete." Mills chuckled as he spoke. Shay looked up again slightly confused.

"Uh-huh. Peter Mills. Can you hand me that box right there?"

"Uh, yeah." He picked up the box at his feet passing it to her.

"Thanks."

"So the little girl from the bridge accident, she okay?"

"You really are new, aren't you? Listen. We get 'em to the doctor best we can, and then we move on. It's the only way to make it here."

"Uh, yeah Yeah. So, um... I was thinking-- I mean, I was wondering... do you maybe wanna hook up for a beer or dinner or something?"

"Peter Mills, are you gay?"

"Me? No."

"Because I am."

Shay leaned forward looking at Mills as he was clearly embarrassed at the joke that had been pulled on him. She decided she would join in.

"Hey mills, you want to get back at them?" Peter furrowed his eyebrows confused.

"Yeah sure." Shay nodded leaning forward a bit.

"Alright you see the female fire fighter on the floor over there?" Peter looked out of the corner of is eyes to see in fact a women on the floor fixing the oxygen tanks.

"Yeah."

"If you want to get back at 81, go over to her and ask her out." Peter shook his head.

"No, I'm not falling for that again." Shay shook her head looking completely truthful.

"No, I'm telling the truth. She's my roommate and she's been mopping around because she broke up with her ex. Please it would really make her day." Peter looked over at the women, she was pretty from what he could tell.

"You know what, I've got a feeling you're telling the truth. Might as well get back a them." Shay high fives him watching him walk away from her.

Harley looked up from the oxygen tank to see the candidate walking over. Her eyes looked to Shay who winked. Why? Harley had no idea.

"Hi, I'm Peter mills... My friends call me Pete." Harley looked over to him giving his a sweet smile.

"The candidate." Peter nodded with a smile. "Mills? Where do I know you're last name from."

"Oh my Father was a fire fighter."

"Mills... Henry Mills, he was on squad when I was a candidate." Peters eyes widened a little he didn't think anybody knew his father.

"How long did you know him?" Harley shrugged fixing some of the tanks lids.

"Only a couple months before..." she trailed of sinking of when she was first a candidate and a massive fire had claimed the lives of two men. Peter mills looked behind him at 81 who were watching confused. He thought, now or never.

"So I was wondering if you wanted to grab some drinks or something." The mood on Harleys face changed. She hated when men asked her out. Especially men who she'd only known for 20 seconds. And him being a candidate and her a Captain. All he's probably thinking is he can sleep his way up from candidate. She dusted her hands before jumping up.

"You know I find it really disgusting when men try and get closer to women just so they can get move up." Mills stuttered confused. She raised her eyebrows at him, daring him to continue. She held her hand out for him to shake. "Hi, I'm Captain Harley Martin."

'Oh shit...' he thought.

Harley watched him stutter in embarrassment.

"Sorry Captian? I thought Captain Martin was-"

"Was a guy?" She asked eyebrows raised. She had caught on to why 81 was watching them and why Shay had winked at her. "You are really digging yourself a deeper hole Mills." When he didn't shake her hand she dropped it.

"I'm sorry I'll just go, Captain"

"Yeah." As Mills turned around 81 cracked it and so did Harley as she winked at them smiling. Mills was embarrassed. But their fun was cut short as Boden's voice rang out.

"Dawson. Shay. Which one of you put a needle in the girl's heart?"

Oh ohhh.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .